Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Power WIndow Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2008, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power WIndow Troubleshooting

Is there a way to tell whether it's necessary to just replace a motor or regulator or if both need to be swapped out? Could I conceiveably get away with only replacing the motor if the windows still work but stick really bad or do you usually need to replace both?
Old March 27th, 2008, 5:19 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Power WIndow Troubleshooting

Usually get away with just replacing 1 or the other. Although sometimes, if left too long, a bad regulator can cause the motor to burn out making you replace both. What kind of car are you talking about?
Old March 27th, 2008, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

sorry... '99 cavalier. And the driver's side window will go down all the way but it takes several "tries" to get it back up. It goes up a few inches, stops, then I let it rest and hit it again at which time it goes up a little more... passenger side was doing the same and now it only moves a fraction of an inch in either direction before crapping out. I've been wondering if the mechanism on either side is just loaded with gunk. The car has lived outdoors for nine years...
Old March 27th, 2008, 9:10 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the motors are gone. Could be from the window track being really dry causing too much friction with the window as its moved up.
try lubing up the window track from the outside first. Spray some lubricant into the velvet track the window runs in. Spray lots in there so it has a chance drool al the way down. Work the window up and down a few times to see if it helps. Wynns makes a great prodruct for this type of stuff, called Viscotene. http://www.wynns.be/product.aspx?g=2...l=EN&nav=2

When\if you change the motors, use a vise and clamp the part of the regulator with the teeth, there is some spring pressure there that could really hurt you.I have seen careless guys cause it tohit the roof.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 3:05 AM
CF Beginner

ive replaced alot of master switches for the same symptons. if you have a power probe i can tell you how to bypas switch and operate motor to see if works then you will now to replace switch.