Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Question about oil on spark plug threads

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2009, 2:10 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about oil on spark plug threads

So whats a good explanation for oil on the plug threads, My engine is very clean and I havent spilled any oil anyware. I feel I have a leaking manifold gasket, All my cylinders are between 100-110 PSI compression, Coolant is clean, oil is clean, Anyone have any input on this one? This may explain my hesitation on heavy acceloration if the Intake manifold gasket(s) is blown. Could this be from the seafoam treatment as well? breaking down the carbon and its working its way up the plug threads?

Pic of oiled plug attached, these plugs are only 3 weeks old, I put new AC DELCO iridium's in yesterday. I have learned that Bosch is crap for Chevys. Time to leave the plugs alone now for about 100,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails Question about oil on spark plug threads-img_1166.jpg  

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; April 27th, 2009 at 2:15 PM.
Old April 27th, 2009, 4:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have to refill oil after a certain amount of miles? If not, then the substance on your plugs isnt oil.
(Can you take a picture of the elektrode as well? If that elektrode is white, then the black isnt oil but gas).
Gas has a certain substance in it, that can give the same result on your spark plugs. Usually its because the gas isnt burned properly in your engine.

Plugs have a certain heat range. Could be yours is too low. Or you're not using the correct gas?

NGK plugs are good for american cars.

Maybe this can help allthough the symptoms you describe sound to me as if you've got an oil leak)

http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg
Old April 27th, 2009, 5:45 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

No I am not loosing any oil, I think your right , its not oil , its too thin, it had the viscosity of gas. I did use sea foam in the intake and tank, Hopefully its just gunk & carbon breaking down. I am loosing coolant though, about a quart every 3 months. My hesitations got to be the coolant leaking into the intake system since there is no visible leaks. Its fine if I drive it easy, but no power if I need it. Maybe it leaks only under high pressure( full throttle) or vacuum situations.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; April 27th, 2009 at 5:48 PM.
Old April 27th, 2009, 6:39 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

I wonder if the coolant is a seperate issue, I have the TBI unlike you, but I had that same issue when I had too large of injectors installed. I could literaly go to the tail pipes and smell the un burnt fuel.
Could it be possible that a temp sensor is failing and therefor running rich and overheating without you being aware?
I imagine that would throw a code.
Old April 27th, 2009, 7:14 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

No codes but I am not ruleing anything out , it could be a sensor that isnt out of range yet but is failing. I would take it to the dealer to get it diagnosed but I dont have the $ or the time for a while.

Here is a few pics of my version of the 6.0 with the cover off for any reference
Attached Thumbnails Question about oil on spark plug threads-img_1164.jpg   Question about oil on spark plug threads-img_1159.jpg   Question about oil on spark plug threads-img_1161.jpg  
Old April 27th, 2009, 7:19 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

I guess what throws me off is that only 4 out of the 8 plugs were like that. 2 on the right side and 2 on the left.
Old April 27th, 2009, 7:22 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

I assume it is a dual plane intake, were the cylinders all on the same plane?
Old April 27th, 2009, 7:43 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Yes, it was the front 2 cyl on each side.
Old April 27th, 2009, 9:21 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Active fuel management? 4cyl mode?
Old April 27th, 2009, 9:27 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by in2pro
Active fuel management? 4cyl mode?
I wish I had that, unfortunately not. I am pretty sure it was the sea foam I puored in the vacuum line that the PCV connects to. The hesitation/power loss problem was happening before this , the plugs I took out a few weeks ago did not look like that, just normally worn a little.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; April 27th, 2009 at 9:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about oil on spark plug threads