Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Question RE 4wd transfer case

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2012, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question RE 4wd transfer case

I have a question as I am not a mechanic...

I bought a used 2006 Silverado 1500. It came with a 3000mi/60 day warranty. After 2 days, the ABS light came on and I noticed it was grinding in 4wd when going straight and the front wheels locked up while turning causing the back tires to skid out and the truck was having trouble going. This happened on pavement (I know, not supposed to do that) as well as an icy parking lot. After taking it in, I was told that the tires needed to be calibrated for the ABS light and that they found that the last time the transfer case was serviced, it was refilled with 90w gear oil instead of accushift. They supposedly flushed the transfer case and refilled it with accushift and called it good. Had the truck back less than 12 hours and the ABS light still comes on and the 4wd still grinds. I took it back in today and they said the grinding sound I am hearing is normal and they will fix the ABS light.

I talked to a mechanic at the Chevy dealership (I bought this truck used from a Ford dealership) and they said at the least, the transfer case needs to be split to check for damage. I am looking for any thoughts and opinions on what might be wrong, if you think there might be permanent damage, or just have an opinion in general. I realize I may have to "stick it to the man" but this is just for some insight currently. I don't want this to turn into a ford dealership bashing thread. Thanks!
Old February 17th, 2012, 4:11 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ldeleiss,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with your Silverado. I have checked my resources; however, there are no known transfer case issues with 2006 Silverado vehicles.

A damaged transfer case is a possibility, not a diagnosis, just a suggestion. Please keep us posted on the results from the technician at your dealer.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it only grind in 4wd?? if thats the case check your front differential fluid and i would definately check front wheel bearings. If the tcase is shot theres a good chance it'd make noise even in 2wd, if the grinding is only in 4wd theres a good chance its a loose/burned up wheel bearing and the ABS sensor got hot throwing the code