Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

rear axle removal

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2007, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear axle removal

I am trying to change rear brakes on 1997 chevy 1 ton and cannot get rear axle off , any suggestions?
Old August 31st, 2007, 9:34 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: rear axle removal

to remove the axle, you gotta remove the axle c-clips from the differential
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:27 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm not too sure but i think a 1 ton has what they call a floater rear end, meaning that you have to takeout the 6 or so bolts out on the axle to get itout, then once you get that off then you need a socket to take the big nut off that holds the rear hub/drum in place... I've never done one, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night!!
Old September 3rd, 2007, 7:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Which type of rear end do you have? Does it have a regular brake drum or does it have a large center hub with bolts holding in the axle?
The regular drum might have small retainer rings on the wheel studs which you will probably have to break to remove and it may possibly be rusted to the axle where it centers at. Usually smacking it with a hammer on one side while putting a little prying action against the back side of the opposite side with a big screw driver will pop it loose.
The type with the big center hub has 8 bolts you will need to remove then pull it out. Behind the axle is a large nut which has a lock tab bent into it.
Bend the tab out of the way and turn the nut C clockwise by either a socket or a hammer and chisel or punch. Remove the first nut then the lock plate and then the second nut which should be reasonably loose any way.
Once the nuts and lock plate are removed slide the drum off being ready for its weight and the 90 weight lube to be leaking out.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 7:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Oops I should have mentioned not to dismantle both sides at once this way you can look at one to see if your doing the other one right.