Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Rear Passenger Wheel locked

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2009, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Passenger Wheel locked

Hello everyone,

I come here with a problem and hope anyone might have a suggestion. I have a 1990 Celebrity Wagon that I am trying to get out of my garage. My roommate and I pushed the vehicle into the garage about 4 months ago and now it's time for it to go.

Anyway, when trying to push it out in neutral it won't budge. I've figured out the rear passenger wheel will not budge, all the others will turn. I've taken the tire off and haven't been able to remove the brake drum. Can't find any sort of access on the backplate for the adjuster.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your time!
-Devon
Old June 16th, 2009, 5:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to state the obvious first, just because, well... it would be funny as hell :
- did you put the handbrake off?

I just had to ask...

I would advice you to use "www.youtube.com" for your problem. There are a lot of good films for your particular problem.

This one for example :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAErU8Xv_uA

Oh and also... if you put it in neutral...Did you start your engine first?
Old June 16th, 2009, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

lol yeah the handbrake is off.
Old June 16th, 2009, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Handbrake is off, the service book says there is a "lanced knock-out" in the backing plate to manually retract the brakes but i'm not seeing this

thanks
Old June 16th, 2009, 8:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Give the backing plate a little tap with a hammer in a few places?

A good rule of thumb is to never park a car for a long period of time with the handbrake engaged

The brake shoe may have rusted to the drum. Backing out the adjusters would not help much. It would allow the shoes a place to go if and when they break loose, but they should have enough room anyway.

usually there are adjustment and inspection holes on teh backing plate, some of which let you insert a screwdriver or a punch so you can give a little hammer shock sideways to the shoe. Don't go crazy with the hammer

Also, did anyone hit the brake pedal before trying to move the car?
If you have pressure in the wheel cylinder, it won't release. Crack the bleeder valve open (if it doesn't look too rusty) and close it again to see if there is pressure. Watch out for fluid squirting out, hold a rag over the valve when you crack it open, or connect a hose to it. Brake fluid eats paint. This problem occurs when the rubber brake lines deteriorate from inside out. They let high pressure in, but there's too much internal swelling to allow the fluid to flow back out of the wheel cylinder. If no fluid squirted out, you do not have a hydraulic problem.
Old June 16th, 2009, 8:35 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugfuel
Don't go crazy with the hammer
I say the exact opposite......get a 10lb sledge hammer, or whatever you have, and beat the crap out of the drum in hopes of freeing up the seized brakes.
Check the backing plate for a little rubber peice that you can pop out. Should be in the bottom of the backing plate. If there is no rubber piece, there should be a cut out that you can unch out with a hammer and punch
Old June 16th, 2009, 9:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by shawnvw
I say the exact opposite......get a 10lb sledge hammer, or whatever you have, and beat the crap out of the drum in hopes of freeing up the seized brakes.
That would have been the next step
Backing plate: no heavy hammer blows, they will distort.
Drum itself: bang away.
Old June 17th, 2009, 1:40 AM
CF Active Member

just take a regular carpenter hammer and give it some wacks on the face and perimiter just watch out for the wheel studs dont wanna wack those n f em up makes puttin the lugs back on kinda difficult
Old June 17th, 2009, 1:42 AM
CF Active Member

you dont need a sledge hammer... its not a semi or trailer for one....
Old June 17th, 2009, 9:27 AM
CF Veteran

So get a torch and heat that bas*****, then take a huge hammer to it!! It's a Celebrity for crying out loud??!!! Boy, this is fun!!!!

Quick Reply: Rear Passenger Wheel locked