Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

remote starters

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2008, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote starters

hello everyone, i have a remoe starter question. I have a remote starter installed in my car. for any of you who have this as well or know about them...must the VALET mode be set before bringing the car in for services, or does that not really matter? thanks for any help anyone can offer. i ask bc my valet mode doesnt seem to be working, which I will be calling the manufacturer of my remote starter to try to get it fixed.
Old March 25th, 2008, 8:31 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: remote starters

If the remote starter was properly installed, there should be a pin switch under the hood that prevents the starter from operating when the hood is up. These usually rust out after a couple years so you may need to clean it up or just replace it. Every brand of remote starter uses a different method of putting the unit in and out of valet mode. wheich brand are you using?
Old March 26th, 2008, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your info. I remote started the car and opened the hood and it stayed on. However, I was able to fix the issue with disabling the remote starter with my transmitter. The model I have is the Galaxy 5000RS-2W-1 made by scytek.net.
normally where would the pin be installed under the hood? my manual says the car would stop if the hood or the trunk are opened but i tried with the hood and it remained on.
thanks again for the info.
Old March 26th, 2008, 3:01 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The pin switch goes wherever the installer puts it. Usually around the outer edge of the drivers side, or up front. Take it back where you had it installed and have them put it in for free. It is supposed to be done when the starter is installed.
Old March 26th, 2008, 9:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Shawn has itpretty much nailed.....though I will add that some use a proximety switch instead of a pin switch.
These proximety switches make look like a plastic bullet that should be mounted onto the hood around a hinge or a hood strut (if you have one) likely on the driver's side.
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

All of which are safety items
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

Hi all I have a remote stater on my 2000 Silverado and when I open the hood the engine keeps running ,is it suppoted to shut down?
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

It should shut down if you open the hood, it should alsonot be able to be remote started if the hood is open either.I just installed a remote start in my truck, and there was a pin switch I had to install for it to work properly.
Old May 1st, 2008, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

I looked and I do have a bulb like switch but it looks rusty so it must likely doesnt work