Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

removing the smog pump

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2009, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing the smog pump

Well i have posted this in another section but got no response, so ill try here.I have a 1984 chevy van and im wanting to remove the smog pump, but i dont want to just remove it and bend all the tubes over and cut them. I would like to remove it and anything that is connected to it so that if need be i can put it back.Also does anyone know how to tell if the pump has stopped working, and if i remove it will it make any difference in the performance of the engine? thanks
Old June 3rd, 2009, 3:02 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, there are many different van models and engine sizes in 84, maybe you need to be more specific Just curiuos, why do you want to remove it?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

It is a g-20 3/4 ton with a 350 in it, the reason for removing it is im not sure if it is working or not. it seems to make a wierd noisealso Im kind of trying to figure out why when first starting the van up it runs like it has a miss for a bit then smooths out.the engine has some hesitation in it at take off, runs good on the highway. i went on a trip recently and i guess the altitude was higher then here at home and when i went to leave up out of where i was i had to go up a small hill and i had it floored and it wouldnt go over 25,and the four barrel didnt kick in.and since that trip the van hasnt been the same. removing the smog pump was just one way of eliminating something that might be the cause.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 3:18 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O ok. I am not sure what to look for if its bad other than a bad bearing, maybe someone else here can chime in on that. If I were to take a guess if it would be more powerful removed, maybe. Do you have a shop manual on it?

Here is an example of what builds up in them and cloggs them up...

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; June 3rd, 2009 at 3:34 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

wow thats a bunch of crap, i may just have to try and get in there and see what needs to be taken off
Old June 4th, 2009, 5:48 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I didnt know what a smog pump (stupid american english...) was. But looking at the picture...isnt that an air cleaner?????
Old June 4th, 2009, 7:21 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

can you remove just the drive belt for the smog pump with out affecting any other items? that should disable it for all intent and purpose...
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

yes it is a smog pump, if you look the part up on auto zone or other auto parts websites it is called a smog pump. The alternator is ran on the same belt as the alternator, i could get a smaller belt and just run the alternator on it.but i thought if i just did it that way then i would have an open air way to the exhaust,im not sure if that would affect the performance or not. i did notice that the rough idle in the morning and after it has sat all day, the exhaust from that smells very rich with fuel.after a minute it clears up and runs fine.