Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

396 Big-Block engine. What car to put it in?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 396 Big-Block engine. What car to put it in?

Ok, so I have a 396 W8 cylinder big-block engine 6.5L with some modifications that I can't remember like cams etc. Bottom line, is it's not in a car. I have a few options I could put it in, and I'm wondering, which would be the best for speed, be easiest to install, and would be the most unique. So here are my options.

Btw, it's possible that the engine won't fit or work with some of the cars I list, i have literally no idea, that's why I'm here.

1) I have a 2003 Monte Carlo LS, was my daily driver, but my head gasket blew.
2) I have a GMC Typhoon, has been sitting for a very long time, but I plan on fixing it up soon enough. If the 396 would be a good idea to put in it, I may do that when I fix it up.
3) I have a Buck Grand National, this has some burnt wires, I know for a fact that the engine would fit, because I've done it before, this was actually my original plan, but I'm still wondering if these other cars would be worth it.
4) I have a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro, this has been sitting for a while too, I recently fixed it up, but I'd need to change all the fluids in it before I start running it again.

So those are all my options. Tell me what you think would be the best for speed, price, and easiest to do.

Thank you.

Last edited by Alex03Monte; May 23rd, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old July 5th, 2013, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sure the camaro
Old July 6th, 2013, 9:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

No doubt the Camaro is the most valuable of the bunch. It might be worth fixing it up with the original engine and selling it for financing everything else. i think I would keep it as it will go up in value every day.