Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2013, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is this normal?

Left the lights on...killed the battery in my 2005 Equinox.

Doors were locked. Key fob would not open them. The key inserted into lock would not open them either. What to do?

Luckily I had left the window down about 3 inches and I was able to squeeze my arm in far enough to reach the door latch...that would not work either!

Then I started thinking...what if I was locked in the vehicle? I couldn't get out! Yikes, dangerous and not so pretty scenarios ran through my head. I could have eventually busted out a window bit many elderly or not so physically fortunate could not. Not a good situation.

Again, lucky for me I was able to force the window down so I could reach in and pull the hood release so that I could give the battery a charge and all was well again.

Is this normal? Are the locks and latches controlled entirely by electric solenoids? This is downright dangerous. Especially on hotter climates. You need to be able to get out of your vehicle no matter what!

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
BCRose
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow BC, that scenario gives me pause too !

But yes, Electrically operated Windows and Door Locks are Motor/Solenoid controlled.
What concerns me though, is that you weren't able to (fairly) easily throw the manual lock for the door to the unlocked position.
Usually, when that level of difficulty occurs, it's a precursor to having a problem with one of the Door Lock Operators.
Your choices are very few here, remove the Trim Pad on the Door(s)...
adjust and lubricate mechanisms, including the Key linkage, to permit easier manual and electric operation.

Now, it is remotely possible, that you could really saturate the Door Lock mechanism externally, with a Spray Lubricant without removing a Trim Pad. That'd be a shot in the dark in trying to get enough lube in there to actually do any good. Messy too !

Just a tip now...
I have known some people to install a Wire Loop on/at the Hood Locking Mechanism, where (covertly) one could reach a finger/tool through the Grill and unlock the hood. Not possible on all vehicles.

Of course, if I had any such device, I wouldn't tell anyone...

If you had such a device, you could have flagged someone down who had a set of Jumper Cables, got a boost, opened your doors, cranked up, and been on your way.

Last edited by SWHouston; July 1st, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

I have electric locks. I pushed the button and as you might suspect no response.

Just a question...How do you flag someone down from inside

This is a dangerous situation. I can think of a few scenarios where it could be very serious. An accident, lose power because battery got knocked around...cannot get out, fire and other things come to mind. Locked in the vehicle on a very hot day is another.

There needs to be a way to get out of the vehicle in case of power loss, this seems to be a no brainer. Can't really believe that this potential situation has been overlooked.
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BCrose
Just a question...How do you flag someone down from inside
Your vehicle was inside some structure ?, I'm missing that.

Your options (for exiting) are...
Keep a "Auto Glass Breaking Tool" accessible to you inside the vehicle.
Install a "Manual Trunk Release" Pull Tab inside the Trunk IF your rear seat folds down.

Having correctly operating Manual Door Lock Operators are the best way.

Last edited by SWHouston; July 1st, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:44 AM
CF Beginner

Well if you are familiar with the Equinox none of these options are available. Hatchback is locked just like the doors.
I appreciate your input but DIY modifications like you suggest should not be necessary. Not many people are going to do any of this and if the situation is right they will be locked in their vehicle and no way to get out.

I was referring to how would you flag someone down if you were locked in your vehicle...
Old July 1st, 2013, 1:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Someone at my wedding got so drunk he slept in his car overnight. We took his keys He must of turned on something causing to drain the battery . Only for him to call is in the morning that he could not get out of the car ......so it is a very dangerous situation. He also really needed to pee.... it is really weird though that these days you cannot manually open the locks.....
Old July 1st, 2013, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
Someone at my wedding got so drunk he slept in his car overnight. We took his keys He must of turned on something causing to drain the battery . Only for him to call is in the morning that he could not get out of the car ......so it is a very dangerous situation. He also really needed to pee.... it is really weird though that these days you cannot manually open the locks.....
How did he get out?
I am assuming he was able to open hood and someone charged the battery?

This is extremely dangerous in my opinion.