Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Rocker turning sideways

Old July 13th, 2008, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker turning sideways

I have a late 60's early 70's chevy 350 in an old 4x4 truck I have. I brokea push rod in half somehow. I replaced the push rod and adjusted the valves as instructed. But now when I try to crank the motor the rocker itself slowly twists sideways and wants to fall off of the valve spring. I assume that is how my first push rod broke. I was told it was the lifter causing the problem soI pulled the intake off and the lifter out but i can see no physical damage to it. Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this?
Old July 13th, 2008, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Rocker turning sideways

The motor came out of another car so i dont know, but it could have an aftermarket cam. I was also told it might be the lobe on the cam being warped or something but i felt of it with my finger through the lifter hoe and it feels fine.

All this began one day when it slung a belt and ran hot for a few minutes. I noticed and pulled over and replaced the belt and limped it home.
Old July 13th, 2008, 9:04 PM
CF Veteran

greeting's turbo ,check the slot in the cylinder head that the push rod slides through ,and the rocker arm stud ,they get slotted on the older abused motor's .
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

thanks. yes it seems looser than the others are. so what can be done about that? nothing ? get new heads?
Old July 14th, 2008, 7:47 AM
CF Veteran

it may be easier to get new head's ,but you can replace the stud if it is slotted ,if the guide slot is worn out you could convert them to screw in stud's with guide plate's ,but it could be pricey .