Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Rough Idle/popping noise in carb

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2007, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle/popping noise in carb

Hey all,my last post I could not get my 93 Chevy van started,well I messed with the timing a bit and got it started.I reset TDC and got the distributor in the right position.Plugs are new and gapped correctly,wires are new and routed correctly.Now it runs rough and theres a popping noise in the carb,not constantly but enough to make you notice it.Using the timing light the mark on the balancer moves back and forth a bit.I've got good vac.pressure.I don't know what else to check.
If you didn't read my last post this all comes after I blew a head gasket.I changed head gaskets,intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets. Thanks Darrin

1993 Chevy G-205.7 FI HEI ign.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 4:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rough Idle/popping noise in carb

That popping noise, sounds like valve issue. You might have to check the timing chain. Rotate the crank, back and forth, a little, by hand, while watching the dist. rotor. You shouldn't be able to move the crank very much, if any, without moving the rotor. The chain may have too much slack.