Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

runs rough when cold please help!!

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2008, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default runs rough when cold please help!!

I have a 1997 cavalier with a 2.2L in it. When I start my car up in the morning it idles really rough. and it lacks power. but when i get up to highway speed it runs fine. I replaced the spark plugs. and it is still doing it do you think that it is a clogged fuel filter or the wires. After the engine is warm and i startit i don't have the rough idle problem. I am stumped.
Old March 29th, 2008, 2:44 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: runs rough when cold please help!!

sounds like a coolant temp sensor reading warm when it really is cold.....not giving it enough fuel
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

would that throw a code?
Old April 1st, 2008, 4:53 PM
Banned

not always. There is a certain range in which the temp sensor performs. If it is on the lower end of the range, but not out of range, it most likely won't throw a code.
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:20 PM
CF Beginner

1} sounds to me you have a ignition system problem.
2}did you spray the ignition wires with water to see if the engine runs worse or pops when you accellerate?
3}did you check for spark on all four wires?
4}how many miles are on the ignition wires any way?
5}if you do change the wires due to the coil packs on the back of the engine take your time and mark them so you dont cross a wire.

ive replace tons of ignition wires and coil packs on these engines. people replace the wires on these engines and dont use or replace the cover protectors for the wires and they go bad from heat.

check the items that i mentioned above and let me know good luck
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

I have changed out plugs and wires and it still does it. I have check the oil to see if it was milky looking (for possible head gasket) and it wasn't The exsust does not have a antifreeze smell to it so I doubt it is the head gasket. The only thing could think of is a coil pack but I though they ran worse after they heated up not better. if the coolent temp senser was bad would that make the coolent light come on? there is no leaks on that engine. Thanks for all the help guys =)
Old April 2nd, 2008, 4:33 PM
Banned

The coolant temp sensor only measers temp...not coolant level so no the coolant light will not come on.
Is your check engine light on at all?
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
CF Beginner

it has been throwing a cylinder 4 misfire. and I think it is getting worse. how much is a coilpack on average? you guys have been great on helping me out I just want to say thanks.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

I thought I heard a hiss comming from my PVC valve outlet I took the PVC valv out a it was really gunky. I cleaned it up and I blew the PVC valve hose out. there was a bunch of gunk in that to. I will be putting a new pvc valve on tomarrow but after cleaning it i stated it up and it ran smooth. now was thind just afluke or could of of this headache be form a gunky PVC valve?
Old April 3rd, 2008, 4:22 PM
Banned

I've never seen a plugged PCV cause problems like you're getting. Do you have spark on your #4 wire? do you have compression on that cylinder? and finally, is the injector working on that cylinder. If your getting a cyl number 4 misfire, I would make that your starting point

Quick Reply: runs rough when cold please help!!