Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Same problem, different trany?

Old June 9th, 2009, 12:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem, different trany?

My Truck: 79' Chevy Silverado K-10, 350/th350/203

My problem: After lending my truck to a "friend" All forward gears were toast. Reverse worked fine. I admit it took me a long time to replace the th350 with a new one , mostly because i know how heavy and combersum the np203 TC is. anyway i bought a used th350 from a salvage yard with a 90 day garentee(90 days start when i return with core) and the owner said he knew personally that it was a good running unit. and it looked the part. inside the fluid was mostly drained. but the small amount nt that was there looked pink (prob new pink) no metal bits or piece in the pan maybe a little grey fine dust in the corners. but looked good for the most part So half way into the project I discovered the two top holes on the output housing were striped out (the ones that bolt through the adapter plate and into the trans) 2of4, I decided that my best option at that point was to, replace the top two with same type/size/thread bolt just 1/2" longer and backed them up with nuts. installed new filter and the only other problem. i found was my truck had the aluminum flywheel starter cover with the steel rods that connect the trans to the motor mounts. and this trans. didnt have the bolt holes to acomidate that. (i drilled holes in it to put it on) The guy that i had helping me for some reason didn't fill the tork converter before hand. (which by the way was the T/C from the trans. that just came out) I wouldn't say it was drained 100% i just put it upside down on top of a five gallon bucket till we needed it. I will say at this point that the fluid in my original trans was the worst ive ever seen. (color/Smell/metal) back to my story.... We ended up at 11qt fluid in total. i got reverse gear at about 8qt.It also has Natural. but never got any forward gears. it does shift and hold in each position normally but no gear. Dipstick reads full, truck is warmed up, as is my temper. and i woke up this morning and couldn't remember doing the modulator. as it turns out he put the old modulator on the new trans, but not the short rubber hose cause he couldnt find it. So i still haven't ran the truck complete yet but i don't think that going to give me 1st 2nd and 3rd gear is it?
It just seems odd that this trans has same reverse only problem my trans had. don't it?. I haven't called the salvage yard yet, im sure he will make it right. I just wish i could charge him labor $$ for this but? Any thoughts? any help? any vodka? any Bullets?
Old November 11th, 2014, 4:58 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0 Vortec intake on 4.3 motor

I've been looking at aftermarket intakes for my 4.3 vortec and the only one i have seen is a k&n which runs about $380 which is stupid. I've also been looking at 5.0 vortec intakes which look the same and are half the price as a 4.3. Could i just take a 5.0 intake and slap it onto the 4.3?