Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

short?

Old March 15th, 2008, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short?

hi hear is my prob,i have a 1998 blazer 4 door just got it 4 days ago well 2 days ago i notice that while driveing and pressing on door locks the tack/od,gas/temp/miles/raido would go off and on well yesterday when i prest the door locks everything stopt? the lights on the 4x4/the rear gate/the in/lights/now on the dash the oil ps works and the volts but everythingelse nothing? the lights in the dash work now the funny thing is that last night when i put on the lights everything was working? if i shut the headlights off not working? now today nothing working whit the head lights on or off and the head lights do not go on ? it will just flash? when you trun them on? if any one can help thanks
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:11 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: short?

It's obvious you have a short, now where the short is is the question. Try having someone press the locks on the passenger side and see if it does the same thing. If it doesn'tthan the short is probably in the driverside door. Then take your door panel offand look for any puncture marks in the wires. The reason that would happen is because when you send power to the door locks, the electricity gets discharged though the ground side; but if there is a short somewhere than the excess power gets divertedlike in your case to your dash and head lights.If you can't figure it out than have a mechanic look at it.
Old March 18th, 2008, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

I've come accross symptoms like this, and found an aftermarket alarm system, to be the cause.
Old March 18th, 2008, 3:53 PM
CF Active Member

Thats a good point, I didn't think of that.