Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

silverado engine misfire going up a hill

Old May 23rd, 2012, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question silverado engine misfire going up a hill

I have a 1993 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl. 4.3 engine, 2 wd, extended cab. I have a problem with the engine missing or acting like a back fire when I give the gas for pickup or going up a hill. If I down shift it is a little better, but when I cruise there is no problem. The mechanic checked fuel pump. changed fuel filter, and checked plugs. He searched for the problem and thought it might be a flat cam. I don't understand this, but I think he might be guessing. the engine now has 175m miles on it. If I am idling it will run smooth and then miss a beat. Any ideas?
Old June 26th, 2012, 8:47 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Same here. Wife noticed 2003 Sub K1500 hesitating and reported to me 3 days ago. She had just purchased a full tank of mid grade. I first checked the fuel filler cap. It is snug. I got a can of Sea Foam, in case trash or water entered the system. I've replaced spark plugs OEM, then plug wires. I have the fuel filter to install this afternoon.
I observed hesitation first under stress at 3500 RPM, but then even at 1800.
Initially observed after reaching operating temp - now, 4 days later it's at cranking and slow driving
Dealers tech listened and replied its the fuel pump "going"
Doesn't the fuel pump just fail like a light switch?
Old June 27th, 2012, 5:06 PM
New User

Originally Posted by cfrazier34
I have a 1993 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl. 4.3 engine, 2 wd, extended cab. I have a problem with the engine missing or acting like a back fire when I give the gas for pickup or going up a hill. If I down shift it is a little better, but when I cruise there is no problem. The mechanic checked fuel pump. changed fuel filter, and checked plugs. He searched for the problem and thought it might be a flat cam. I don't understand this, but I think he might be guessing. the engine now has 175m miles on it. If I am idling it will run smooth and then miss a beat. Any ideas?
It's not a flat cam. Since it only happens under load and backfires, I would check the distributor cap. Is this a z engine?
Old June 27th, 2012, 5:09 PM
New User

Originally Posted by funbunch
Same here. Wife noticed 2003 Sub K1500 hesitating and reported to me 3 days ago. She had just purchased a full tank of mid grade. I first checked the fuel filler cap. It is snug. I got a can of Sea Foam, in case trash or water entered the system. I've replaced spark plugs OEM, then plug wires. I have the fuel filter to install this afternoon.
I observed hesitation first under stress at 3500 RPM, but then even at 1800.
Initially observed after reaching operating temp - now, 4 days later it's at cranking and slow driving
Dealers tech listened and replied its the fuel pump "going"
Doesn't the fuel pump just fail like a light switch?
A fuel pump can slowly degrade over time. Did anyone check the fuel pressure on it? What engine do you have?
Old June 28th, 2012, 9:25 AM
Former Sponsor

When your engine is under load (going up the hill) it will have a more pronounced misfire then when at cruise. What about plug wires and like Bjmac said, your cap?
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:29 AM
New User

Thank you Bjmac!
VIN "Z" 5.3 L V8f
O'REilly quoted $275 for replacement fuel pump.
Your comment is consistent with new info I received privately.
Hey, already replaced OEM plugs, wires, filter - it'll have close to a full tune up!
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:28 AM
New User

Default Towed to dealer

The tranny 4L60E lurches forward in Park, Rev, Neutral,D, 3,2,1 now (four days)
Was able to rock the vehicle 8 feet backward after chucking shifter in neutral. It stubbornly failed to move forward/backward.

Keep ya'll posted
Old June 29th, 2012, 5:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Cannot remember if this is OBD1 or 2? Is there a check engine light?
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

No check engine light comes on at all .
Old June 30th, 2012, 1:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What I would recommend, parking brake set, and wheels chocked, with insulated pliers, pull plig wires one by one. If the engine misses, go to the next till you pull a wire, and the engine dosen't change. That will isolate at least to that cylinder. Pull the spark plug, it could be a plug wire.