Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

slight engine problem : / need help!!

Old March 6th, 2008, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slight engine problem : / need help!!

ok i own a 1990 chevrolet ck1500 engines only got a few thousand miles on it but during the last couple of days when i stop the engine will start to rev slighty,stop,rev again and then die happens only when i stop....putting it in neutral and giving it gas fixes it for bout half a minute i had a full tune up on it to try and fix it but that didnt work... any help? btw it runs great when im actually driving
Old March 6th, 2008, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: slight engine problem : / need help!!

also forgot to mention it starts up perfectly fine if I turn it off but if i let it do its business and kill itself it becomes difficult to start it back up like its struggling..... not a battery problem its a pretty much new battery almost fully charged
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, my dad owns a 97 silverado efi an all...but i think i got your fix. did you say that if you rev it it will stay on for a little longer then when you take off the gas you cut out?. well look at your alternator. my dad had a loose connection on a wire that the shop played with when they didnt have to(artards) and he tightened it all up and it went perfectly...until the head gasket went. BUT... good indicators that its electrical is when its starting to die, if you notice your battery meter fluctuating more than you think it would. also, the lights dim and when you rev obviousely sometimes it stays other times it wont. try that. just look at the wire connections from alternator to battery an the grounds. i dont think you need to worry about the starter lead so just try that and post back if its the thing or not. good luck.
Old March 7th, 2008, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

THANKS!! that is exactly what is happening i do notice the battery meter flucuate quite a bit ....btw it just so happens that my engine is a 97 350 lol its not the stock one but ill have to wait till this weekend to fix it dont have the time today
Old March 8th, 2008, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

ok got around to really looking at it today.........turns out i had a bad ground wire... fixed it and it runs fine now THANKS alot for helping me out