Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

New Chevy 350 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2009, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Chevy 350 Overheating

I have a rebuilt 350 that was built by a reputable company. It keeps trying to overheat on me after driving it 10 to 15 min. I have had the radiator boiled and rodded and also replaced the waterpump and its like I never did anything. Also it doesn't have an electric fan and there is no clutch on the fan. Does anyone know what could be causing this or has had this happen to them. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin
Old May 14th, 2009, 9:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum stop by the welcome area if you would like!

Sounds to me like your thermostat is not opening up right! I would repace it. Just in case you do not know where it is, its underneith the neck on your intake where your radiator hose connects to!
Old May 14th, 2009, 9:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Agreed with the thermostat, but I would also check your heater core, try getting it warm and turning on the heat, it might just have a clog in there, chances are if you had the motor rebuilt, there is a new thermostat, did you have a short block, or a long block rebuilt?? Try taking it in to a local mechanic and have the entire coolant system pressure flushed... Just a thought...
Old May 14th, 2009, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Also forgot to say that I have removed thermostat and tried it that way and tried it with new thermostat with no effect either way...
Old May 14th, 2009, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

No heater and it was a long block when I got it all I had to do was put a water pump carb and distributor on it.
Old May 14th, 2009, 9:23 PM
CF Junior Member

No heater??? or no heater core??? If not sounds like you have a plug some where in one of the coolant galleys, try a pressure flush or take it back to who ever built it, if it is still under warrenty...
Old May 14th, 2009, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

I'll try the pressure flush and see what that does.
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, did you replace the radiator cap? I find a lot of situations where people replace the thermostat repeatedly, but the radiator cap gets ignored.

The seal wears out, the pressure leaks out, 0 PSI means boiling water, and Viola! Overheat.
It costs five times the purchase cost to test it, so just buy a new one.

Carefully check the external radiator fins. Many times they clog with dirt, the heat has nowhere to go and, you got it, overheat.

A common fallacy is the antifreeze cools the engine. Nnnnnt! Wrong answer! The WATER transfers heat from the engine, the "coolant" merely regulates the water to keep it from boiling and freezing.(Hence, the name "Antifreeze".) Be certain to keep a decent ratio of coolant(water) to antifreeze in your radiator.
Old May 18th, 2009, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

I have replaced the radiator cap. Everything outside of the engine is new or been redone including the radiator.
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Default heat

check the radiator with a pressure tester to see if it is building pressure from a blown gasket or cracked head ,but first check the timing to see if it is to far advanced .

Quick Reply: New Chevy 350 Overheating