Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Speedometer/Odometer Help

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2013, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedometer/Odometer Help

First of all, I'm not sure if there's already a thread here on this topic, so if there is sorry for reposting.

My van is a 1982 Chevy G20, and my speedometer quit working along with my odometer. I noticed that the odometer kept rolling back ever so slightly, so I removed the dash to get a look at the cable... Sure enough, the cable is rolling backwards, but not forward. I traced the line and everything looks hooked up, but I have yet to put my hand on it and see if it was tight or not, but I was wondering offhand if anyone might know the source of a problem like this. I'm pretty sure if the cable were broken, it wouldn't spin at all. I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the transmission. It did stop working once for about a day, but then returned to normal. The speedo also has had a jump in it while traveling if that helps.

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backwards...strange !

You need to get under your ride and check the Gear that's inserted into the transmission. Got to be something there...stripped...something.

An easy fix if that's it.

While you got the Gear out of the Tranny, be sure to spin it to see if there's a possible snag in the Cable or Speedometer Head.
Old February 16th, 2015, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer Reading for Registration Update?

whoops

Last edited by hg3300; February 16th, 2015 at 9:03 AM. Reason: stupid, wanted to create a new thread