Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Starter can not turn engine (new starter, batt, and wires)

Old December 3rd, 2009, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter can not turn engine (new starter, batt, and wires)

Okay I have a 1996 Chevrolet Corsica, with a 2.2L L4. Here's the deal, it ran and drove fine until last night when I was servicing injector seals. I noticed one of the injectors was leaking fuel outside the manifold so i bought new o-ring seals, replaced them, and put it all back together. In the meantime the battery died because the dome light was on for a good hour or two. I didn't think it should have died so soon and after trying to charge and then checking the battery verified it to be a bad battery. Replaced the battery, and still would not start. Starter engaged and sounded like it was "trying" to turn the motor but couldn't. Thought I had a defective battery, so exchanged it, and also replaced the battery cables, thoroughly cleaned starter terminals and ground point before attaching them. Same problem with new battery and cables. So then I thought it must be the starter. Bought and installed a new starter, checked all connections several times, and STILL the SAME problem. When I turn the key the starter just makes a clunk like its hitting the flywheel and meshing with the teeth but not turning it. then every few attempts would result in the engine turning just a little bit, but not much, before locking up. It sounds like the starter is encountering some kind of resistance. I seriously doubt its anything electrical or to do with the starter. I removed the accessory belt to ensure no seized accessories, to no avail. I don't know what would cause this or how the engine could lock up.

Please help... its my only car and i cant get to work or school.. its urgent <!-- / message --> <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --> <!-- controls -->
Old December 5th, 2009, 3:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was it starting jsut fine before this? No hesitation or long crank time? Try to turn the engine with the balancer using a big pipe wrench or something along those lines, I've never had to do that to a car so I don't know the best route. I'm sure you don't have a lot of room.
Old December 5th, 2009, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Yes it was starting perfectly. No problems at all. So I don't think the engine is locked up per se. All I can think of is flywheel teeth could be worn or maybe timing chain broke. I would say it was incorrect install of starter but it did it with the old starter too. and when i installed injector seals i touched nothing that would cause it. its wierd. I'm going to try to turn the crank right now to see if there's anything keeping it from rotating freely. Will update soon.
Old December 6th, 2009, 5:43 AM
CF Beginner

UPDATE:

I removed the water outlet adapter, which also contains the EGR passages and holds the EGR valve. EGR passages full of coolant. Bummer. Removing head now. I fear that the pistons are frozen due to being full of coolant.... damn. Now I just have to see if the engine can be salvaged or if I just need to go buy a junk yard engine. Didn't think it would be that bad. oh well. I'm gonna fix it though, can't afford to buy a new car. Wish me luck!
Old December 7th, 2009, 7:32 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

coolant doesn't run through these style of intakes gary......if you want to try and get a little more time out of it, I have seen rad stop leak seal these up for a couple months. You should get the aluminum filings in the tub rather than the bottle with sealer mixed in antifreeze. It might work as a quick fix to save up your money but it will eventually fail again