Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Starter issue with a 350.

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2008, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issue with a 350.

Hello everyone,

New to Chevrolet Forum, and was hoping to get some assistance with a starter issue.

This is in a 89 grumman step van, -automatic "turbo glidetranny"(I think)and a 350 platform.

I have replaced the starter a couple times, checked connections and ground cables and am using a battery jump boxin case the battery may be too weak. (new optima red top gel cell battery)When I apply power to the starter motor from the ignition, (or an auxpush button switch in the engine compartment) I get a series of clicks from the starter as if the battery is weak. When I release the ignition from the start postion a few seconds later I get a click from a relay that is located on the firewall in the engine compartment.(there are actually 2 of them right next to each other) I do not know what these relays are or how to test them or if they may have something to do with this symptom.
Another thing is, if I sit there and keep turning the ignition on and off to the start position the starter will actuallyengage and the engine will fire right up. However ifI turn the engine off and attempt to restart I get the same symptom. As you might have guessed the frustration level I am at. Clearly the most common solution is either a weak battery/bad starter/bad connection. I have checked these over and over, and nothing has helped.
Maybe these relays I mentioned plays a vital role in engaging the starter.
Will someone with some knowledge please help, your assistance is highly appreciated.

I have attached a few photos.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20558/4DB0BEF15891431CA1791B3024EAAECD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20558/B3606F4CF5AB4BCE8E40CF9FA66C257B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20558/0B47EFD4AEBF420BBA7D1461E7C342DA.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 7th, 2008, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Starter issue with a 350.

Thanks for the reply. A ground issue was my immediate thought. So I replaced the old ground cables with heavy duty 4 gauge cables (as pictured). One goes from the battery right to the engine block. Another goes from the alternator bracket(which is grounded and mounted to the block) to the frame of the vehicle. Are there other grounding methods? Do the pictured relays have anything to do with the starter circuit?
Old October 12th, 2008, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

What I meant to say was I already had installed additional heavy duty ground cables because I thought that was the issue, and it did not help anything. THE PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED.[] Does anybody have any idea what the pictured relays are? You can click on the X icons and photos will appear. I really need to get this issue resolved soon, any ideas chevy people?
Old October 16th, 2008, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Thank You Gary. I thought I would get a little more response from other "chevrolet" members, apparently this malfunction has even the most experienced techs as stumped as I am. ==[&:]
Old October 25th, 2008, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Anybody else have any ideas? AUTOZONE.COM did not help.
Old October 28th, 2008, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

have you checked the soleniod?
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Fellow GRUMMAN..I checked and replaced the starter and solenoid as stated..Went over all my connections several times.. There is a short some where that is drawing some serious amps that I have yet to locate. I used my battery jump box along with a jump from another vehicle and it cranked beautifully and the engine fired right up. Still working on it, and would still like to hear from experienced techs about this issue.

Here's my one and only CHEVY.
Old November 12th, 2008, 1:23 AM
Banned

It might be some problem with your grounding. Check out your ground and electrical connections.

Old November 13th, 2008, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Matt, Please read all the above posts. I appreciate your response either way.
Old November 14th, 2008, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

I HAD A OLD CAMARO ONCE AND HAD PRETTY MUCH THE SAME SYMPTOMS AND I ENDED UP BUYING A FORD REMOTE SOLENOID AND INSTALLED ON FIREWALL. WHEN YOUR DOING THIS YOUR BYPASSING THE SOLENOID AT THE STARTER, I'M JUST TRIING TO REMEMBER HOW TO DO THE WIRING- BUT IT DID WORK FROM THAT POINT ON

Quick Reply: Starter issue with a 350.