Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

stater issues

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2008, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stater issues

i have a 73 chevy pickup half ton two wheel drive 350 motor. when i got it it was not maintaned at all so i started playing catch up until my starter went out i put three or four orielly starters on it and played with it sheemed it and none of them worked all they did was eat my flywheel. which ended up with me beein kicked out of there store for jumping the manager. so i bought a napa one and stuck it on and it worked for a bit and **** out. so then i took it to a shop to get new points put in it and have them mess with the starter picked it up and and it was fine the same day it quit i know i need a new flywheel which is goin in this weekend but what else should i do im lost other than starting new with this i need advice about this.
Old January 6th, 2008, 5:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: stater issues

Replacing the flexplate is a good start but be sure your putting back the same size one as you take out as GM uses at least3 sizes I know about.
Also before you replace the starter look hard at the mounting surface on the bottom of the block. I have seen loose starters do serious damage to the block mounting surface and if so the new starter will not stay tight no how.
If your block is damaged you have a few options. 1 instead of using a starter with offset bolts find one with2 longbolts directly across from each other or the one with one short and one long bolt directly across from each other.
Do your starter search before you change the flexplateas you may need to change to a different size to fit the starter that will work for you. Also make sure you replace the brace at the back of the starter because it helps to keep the starter from becoming loose from vibration.
Old January 6th, 2008, 5:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: stater issues

Almost forgot DO NOT try to grind or smooth the block surface if it is damaged. Shims in this case will only make things worse also.