Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Steering gear shaft coupling removal trouble

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2015, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering gear shaft coupling removal trouble

I'm trying to replace the steering gear on my 92 Chevy G20 conversion van. Having trouble getting the joint/coupling off the input shaft. I don't know what to do. There is a pinch bolt that holds it on the shaft. Pinch bolt is removed and I have spread the split open as far as I can with what I have available (screwdriver). I can get the coupling to raise off the shaft but only about half way, then it gets stuck and won't go further. Been prying on it pretty good but I don't want to use too much force and mess something up. So am I missing something? Do I need to pry the split open more? Use more force to pry it off? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old April 6th, 2015, 9:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I put my medium length pry bar on the bottom of the shaft(where it sleeves over the steering gear spline) and hit the end of the pry bar with a hammer. it should move up and slide off.

put the seat belt through the steering wheel so it doesn't spin around and get put out 1 turn...you will snap the clockspring.

Last edited by tech2; April 6th, 2015 at 9:38 PM.