Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Steering hard to turn to the right. Fluid is fine

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2007, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering hard to turn to the right. Fluid is fine

Hi, I had just purchased a 1996 chevrolet lumina mini van. 3.4 engine. When you are driving at a very slow speed the steering is very hard to turn to the right . Turning to the left is fine though. The steering fluid is fine .No leaks. There is no clunking or slipping . It just feels like the power steering but then would it not be on both sides.
A service tech. jumped right away on the rack and pinion steering andsaid that it would need to be replaced even though he is not for sure if that would be the problem. To spend $600.00 without knowing for sure if that is the problem or not sounds rediculous.It would be different if it was for certain.
Another one thought it mightbe the steering gear, seal, pump or a blockage in the lines , at least he was more understanding of the cost and was more open minded wanting to look at the basics items but of course nobody does free estimates just to find out what the problem is so you can get it fixed. So well anyways has this happened to anyone else on here or does anyone have any suggetions. With being a single momwith a single income I will take any suggestions.
Thank-You
Tina
Old October 8th, 2007, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Steering hard to turn to the right. Fluid is fine

Hey Tina, I don't have alot of experience with cars or vans but I kinda agree that its something in either the rack or the pump. Just my opinion though. I assume most people are like me and not filthy rich so all the help we can get makes a difference. I would try and call around and tell them that you believe its either the pump or the rack and make them give you an estimate first over the phone. I am not trying to be the bad news person but when that happend on my truck my rack shot craps. Thats the thing that takes the fluid and uses pressure to change to the direction you are turning the wheel. Then two weeks later the pumps started growling and went out shortly there after. I was able to repair both my self and changed the hoses while I was at it, but steering is not one of my strong suits. When rack went out I took the bad on to the parts store and buddy who works there said it was the valve in the rack that failed which either allows fluid or takes fluid, thats why there are feed and return lines. Like I said you could try the hoses I believe there are three on your steering, you might get lucky and just have a clog. I just looked themup on the auto zone website and they range from 16-30 dollars in price. I am sorry I can't help you out further, its so hard for me to diagnose a problem which I can't look at in person. Trust me I been in similar situations as yours try to figure out what I was going to do. I am a fairly good DIY but I don't mess with steering to much. Like I saidI replaced the rack and pump on my truck but thats about the extent of it. I hope this helps.
Old October 8th, 2007, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Hey MuddyBlaze ,Thanks for the advise. I had a gut feeling on the rack but like I said to stick 600 into it without knowing,, thats not good. I really never looked up how they worked though and that does make sense, .It only has 101,000 miles on it and everything else works great besides the serpintine belt tensioner that needs replacing.I was just hoping to keep it cheap but hey I guess I have room to spend on it since I only paid $250.00 for it . It was a great find at that price. ...Tina
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Before you start pooring money into pumps and what not check the belt for the proper tension and wear. If you feel a lot of slack, try tighten the belt up first. Could be something as simple as that! Sorry I really didn't read the other post.