Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Sunroof help. PLEASE!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2008, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof help. PLEASE!!!!!

I have a 1997 Monte Carlo LS. One day I noticed the drivers side rear corner was not properly seated, and sticking up a bit. I tried working the switch, and all I was getting was a grinding noise from up where the motor is.

I went on line and found a site called The Sunroof Doctor. I found a link on his site to troubleshoot our sunroofs.
http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/guideinspection.htm

By what it says, most problems are with the guides, but I see no damage to my guides. I have taken the glass out, and if I hit the button both side move about 1", then the drivers stops and the grinding noise starts. The passenger side will go all the way to the rear like it is supposed to, hearing the grinding noise the entire time. To close, again it is constantly grinding, but once the passenger meets to the same spot the drivers side is, both retract the entire way. To me it sounds like the motor is striped out on the drivers side. does anyone know if that is possible?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!