Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Synthetic Oil ?

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2006, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil ?

I just bought me a 2006 Silverado 4x4 4.8 engine, do any of you run SYNTHETIC OIL in your chevy's ? if so when should I change mine and what weight oil do I use ? does the front diff and rear diff have synthetic oil in them ? also what about changing front diff & rear diff fluid and putting Royal Purple Synthetic Fluid ? any help, suggestion's would be great !

Thanks, Rodney
Old June 10th, 2006, 3:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Synthetic Oil ?

ORIGINAL: Rod Man

I just bought me a 2006 Silverado 4x4 4.8 engine, do any of you run SYNTHETIC OIL in your chevy's ? if so when should I change mine and what weight oil do I use ? does the front diff and rear diff have synthetic oil in them ? also what about changing front diff & rear diff fluid and putting Royal Purple Synthetic Fluid ? any help, suggestion's would be great !

Thanks, Rodney
I always use Mobil synthetic lubes. I drained my engine oil at 100 miles and used Mobil 1 5W-30. Always use the recommended viscosities as outlined in your owners manual. My 2005 has synthetic installed in the rear differential at time of assembly but the front differential was not synthetic so I installed Mobil 1 75W-90 gear lube. I have used synthetics since 1989 and have been very happy with them. They will also give you a small gain in MPG.
Old June 10th, 2006, 11:08 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: SLJ2137694

Thanks, Rodney
I always use Mobil synthetic lubes. I drained my engine oil at 100 miles and used Mobil 1 5W-30. Always use the recommended viscosities as outlined in your owners manual. My 2005 has synthetic installed in the rear differential at time of assembly but the front differential was not synthetic so I installed Mobil 1 75W-90 gear lube. I have used synthetics since 1989 and have been very happy with them. They will also give you a small gain in MPG.
I hope he meant 1000 miles.

Take care and God bless,
1ND-hoppe
Old June 11th, 2006, 4:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1ndhoppe

ORIGINAL: SLJ2137694

Thanks, Rodney
I hope he meant 1000 miles.

Take care and God bless,
1ND-hoppe
No, I said 100 miles. I want the benefits of synthetic oil from day one. Engine break-in is not an issue, manufacturers would not install synthetic oil in their performance cars at the factory!!! Some will say that engines will not break-in properly on synthetic and that's just another bit of bad info that the un-informed pass on as fact. See www.Mobil1.com for additional info.
Old June 11th, 2006, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

i use synthetic oil in my truck since the first oil change, the message center will tell u when the change the oil do to how u drive. wait till it tells u to change it
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

I have used Mobil synthetic oil in all my new cars & engines for many years now. I usually put in Mobil after about 1000 or 1500 to 2500 miles on a rebuilt engine. An engine will take alittle longer to break in by installing synthetic oil to soon, but does not do any damage. I use 5-30 in my 2003 chevy Z-71 tahoe. 10-30 in my 68 454HO vet, 5-30 in my 2000 ford explorer, 5-30 in my Z-24 cavaliers,10-30 in my stroked 340 67 Dodge. synthetic oil in transmissions & rears is a good idea also & royal purple is a good one
Alan
Old June 18th, 2006, 1:19 AM
CF Beginner

You CANNOT go wrong with synthetics. (Do some research, only a few are 'true' synthetics... The rest are all Dino oils with additives) I was a skeptic when they were first introduced many years ago..."They will cause leaks" etc blah blah..... I believed all that baloney too for a long time. (If synthetic "causes" a leak you have a bad seal that needs replacing.) I studied and watched the reviews for many years before trying Mobile 1. Had a water pump failure on a 120 degree day in Arizona. I nursed the truck home from the desert (Run till hot, let it cool and run again) Tore the engine down expecting the worst, and to my surprise the thing looked like brand new! Put a new pump on, reassembled the heads and drove that truck for nearly 200K more miles before selling it. I am sold on synthetics to say the least! Use the right weight, change at proper intervals, and you will have a healthy, happy engine and drivetrain. When to change over is your decision. (Corvettes, Vipers, many high $ european cars come with M1 right from the factory...AND the warranty requires continued use of it on some)
Good luck and happy trails
Mctoy
Old June 21st, 2006, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

I am new to this forum and just bought a 2006 Silverado with the 5.3 FLEX engine. I have about 2000 miles on factory oil (Whatever it is they use) and am considering either Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec or AMSOIL. I have read really good reviews on AMSOIL.

Any suggestions on which I should go with?

Thanks....
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:38 AM
CF Beginner

Are you guys using any type off specific oil filter... such as K&N? Or are you just sticking with regular filters?
Old August 27th, 2006, 3:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Mobile 1 oil, transmission fluid, and rear diff. fluid in my little sonoma. I also use AC Delco filters.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil ?