Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Tell-Tale signs

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2009, 4:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell-Tale signs

Subject vehicle:
'02 Tahoe LT
5.3L 2WD
99,400 mi
*original plugs, engine gaskets, etc

Questions for the experts:
What are some of the signs to look (or listen) for that determines it's time for replacing spark plugs and/or plug wires?

Same question for time to replace fuel filter and/or fuel pump?

Reason i ask, I was planning on diving in and replacing/renewing the plugs, wires, fuel filter...and maybe even intake gasket. However, since the Tahoes is running "ok", why bother?...and just look for the tell-tale signs of early failure, THEN start replacing stuff.

Thanks-
JP
Old September 28th, 2009, 6:43 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Tell tale signs include rough running, hard starting, poor fuel economy, rotten egg smells etc

But at almost 100,000 miles, you should have it done now, as gary said, for preventitive maintenance.
There's a line an old boss of mine would say to his customers, "Pay me now, or pay me later. It'll be alot cheaper to pay me now though"
Would you rather come into the shop on the hook, pay for a tow charge, along with whatever extra damage is done to your vehicle, and then pay for a part to get changed that was supposed to be preventative maintenance?
Don't wait for problem to arise. especially with easy stuff like changing plugs. To change your own plugs it might cost you $60. To not change your plugs, could cost $1000-2000 for a head gasket because the spark plug is seized and now the heads need to be removed and repaired
Old September 28th, 2009, 7:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Trust me, I'm all about preventative maintenance...I was just curious about signs indicating degrading parts.

I also have always had the view if it ain't broke, don't fix it...since experiences with making adjustments, parts/components renewals (in other vehicles) BEFORE signs of failure, and suddenly having run issues.

Having said that, preventative is usually cheaper than reactive maintenance!

Thanks for the tell-tales shawn. Any others to look for?

JP
Old September 28th, 2009, 7:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Dude! Nice Tahoe.

Spark plugs- take whatever "brag mileage" is advertised on spark plugs and divide by 2. My Iridium plugs bragged 100K miles, at 57K they were ready to melt right off the side of the engine. And I drive like "Driving Miss Daisy".

Wires will usually wait till you can see the outer rubber jacket on the wire starting to deteriorate when you bend one over a finger.(we're looking for rough rules of thumb here, right?)

Gas filters I personally do @ every 20K. (When my vehicle has one.) A trick I use with air filters is get the cheap one, change it twice as often.

Don't forget that transmission filter. 3X the normal interval for you at this point.

Have you tried synthetic oil yet?
Old September 28th, 2009, 8:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks river, she's been a good one!

Great tips...and good points. I've used synthetic in other vehicles but never in this Tahoe, strictly fossil. No reason, just never did.

I had a new transmission installed 1 month ago (OEM...warranty) but usually just keep a close check on the fluid...will look into advantages of fluid/filter change-outs with this new one.

JP
Old September 29th, 2009, 3:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Once you go over the recommended change interval, it starts to affect how fast you are off the line,gas mileage,etc. A tell-tale sign is if your truck surges ahead a bit when you take your foot off the brake, when the trans filter starts to clog, the truck will just sit there, instead of moving.

Change interval is supposed to be @35K, but you can usually stretch it a bit to fit into a major tune-up.

I'm trying synthetic myself for the first time now, and I'm just asking opinions.(As well as forming my own with my own results.)