Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Oxygen Sensor/O2 system stays in closed loop??

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 3:08 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oxygen Sensor/O2 system stays in closed loop??

03 6.0 Silverado,

I have been watching some live data on my engine and sensors, I noticed that my O2 system stays in closed loop all the time. I do understand that when the engine is cold they use a closed loop mode until the O2's warm up to start sending a signal for fuel adjustments. No CE light on this either nor any abnormal engine performance, just al little stiff if at full load, Just wondering why they are closed after warm up, any input? If one 02 goes bad can the system trigger this?
Old May 7th, 2009, 4:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

werent you the one that cleaned his 02 sensors with CLR? Guess it didnt work after all did it!!! LOL
Old May 7th, 2009, 4:46 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
werent you the one that cleaned his 02 sensors with CLR? Guess it didnt work after all did it!!! LOL
Yea, that was me. Ive had this closed loop thing before I did that though. My problems turned out to be a bad MAF at the time I did that. The new MAF fixed my hesitations& extreme loss of power. Now I am just studying the readings for knowledge and remembered this.

Maybe I just need to swap all the O2's from my tahoe ( since same part #'s) and see if I still get the closed loop.
Old May 7th, 2009, 4:52 PM
Super Moderator

thats what i would do that way you wont waste any money and if that fixes it then you know you need 02 sensors
Old May 7th, 2009, 5:03 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

We'll see,

Just for the record, there is NO proper procedure to clean an O2 sensor other than a shot of air. I was just risking it and experimenting a little. They get so hot during use Id say they self clean if anything.
Old May 7th, 2009, 5:09 PM
Super Moderator

yeah i know i was just messing around!! 02 sensors for my truck are cheap its when you get into the 3 wore heated ones when they get pricey!
Old May 11th, 2009, 7:42 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is supposed to stay in closed loop. When you first start it, it is in open loop. You are backwards
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
It is supposed to stay in closed loop. When you first start it, it is in open loop. You are backwards
Thanks , I did figure that out yesterday . Why is it the simple things that always get me? I had it all backwards, so my O2 system is working as it should. Yet another learning curve for me Good thing I didnt go swapping the Tahoe parts to it yet, then Id really feel stupid

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 11th, 2009 at 1:54 PM.
Old May 11th, 2009, 2:45 PM
Banned

I'd say that's probably the reason you are reading the data the way you did. I guess it's a good thing that you don't need to replace the o2. Maybe you can clean an o2?? lol
Old May 11th, 2009, 2:47 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by OnDaGround
Maybe you can clean an o2?? lol
O boy, not that again, lol. Thats why I am looking at laptop software right now, my buddie gave me a lil old Scan Guage I, its cool, but too many buttons to press to get to what your looking for. I want to see the voltage changes from the sensor, not just open or closed.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 11th, 2009 at 2:51 PM. Reason: added

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor/O2 system stays in closed loop??