Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Tire question

Old August 18th, 2009, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire question

Okay at the risk of sounding stupid, I ask this question.
I recently heard that tires actually have an expiration date?
That after X-amount of years even if the tread is good, the rubber is bad?
Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Thanks.
Old August 18th, 2009, 2:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by boosted475
Okay at the risk of sounding stupid, I ask this question.
I recently heard that tires actually have an expiration date?
That after X-amount of years even if the tread is good, the rubber is bad?
Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Thanks.
never a stupid question....iv'e never myself heard of such a theory...my dad did run some tires on his truck for close to 10 years,the were starting to crack a little..who gave you that info was it a tire guy?
Old August 18th, 2009, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

If your not into burn outs/ and or drive like a granny you should replace your rubber ever 5-7 years. Sometimes even earlier depending on the quality of the tyre.

Rubber dries out and tends to make your ride harsh and also you run the risk of cracking/splitting a tyre at higher speeds which could be fatal.

Dont risk it.
Old August 18th, 2009, 6:49 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They do not have a expiration date per say. However tire should only be run 5-7 years depending on the make/quality.After then the risk of a blow out is higher. All tires have a DOT number which contains the date in which they were made.
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

OK, LOOK CLOSELY at one of the tires. After a couple years they start to get small surface cracks. Once they appear, there's no rush, but it probably would be a safe bet to say you'd want to be considering new tires in the next 30k miles or two years. Tires literally dry rot when exposed to extremes in weather. (google "ozone checking") Some people say if you turn off the radio, turn out the lights and stay REAL QUIET, you can hear your car's rubber deteriorating. (Not true.)

Most tires are only warrantied up to 4 years against sidewall wear-out.

I personally replace all my tires (spare included) after 5 years, or tread wear-out, whichever comes first.

But this is kind of personal. Some folks go thru tires in two years, some (like myself) 5, while others who drive gently on dirt backroads near home only go thru a set in 8-10 years. I wouldn't wear your wallet out because some salesman is trying to say your tires are worn out. Make up your mind for yourself.

Don't forget to rotate and inflate!

Last edited by therewolf; August 19th, 2009 at 5:07 PM.
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rivereye
OK, LOOK CLOSELY at one of the tires. After a couple years they start to get small surface cracks. Once they appear, there's no rush, but it probably would be a safe bet to say you'd want to be considering new tires in the next 30k miles nor two years. Tires literally dry rot when exposed to extremes in weather. (google "ozone checking") Some people say if you turn off the radio, turn out the lights and stay REAL QUIET, you can hear your car's rubber deteriorating. (Not true.)

Most tires are only warrantied up to 4 years against sidewall wear-out.

I personally replace all my tires (spare included) after 5 years, or tread wear-out, whichever comes first.

But this is kind of personal. Some folks go thru tires in two years, some (like myself) 5, while others who drive gently on dirt backroads near home only go thru a set in 8-10 years. I wouldn't wear your wallet out because some salesman is trying to say your tires are worn out. Make up your mind for yourself.

Don't forget to rotate and inflate!
very good point in tire's lasting...im very particular on doing the whole rotate and proper air pressure...it really makes tire's last...espically if it's an investment..great point rivereye
Old August 19th, 2009, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

cool thanks guys