Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

tranny replacement

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2006, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny replacement

Hey,

I have a 67' Impala SS and my tranny blew. I have a new one and I would like to know if it would be easier to drop it out or take out the engine and tranny to replace. Taking it out the engine would seem to be harder but everyone says all you have to do is take out the radiator and disconnect all the hoses and motormounts. But but to drop it out all I would have to do is raise the car. put the new tranny on a jack and install it that way. I have an engine hoist and a lift so i could do it either way. I just want to know which way would be easier and faster. Thanx.
Old November 6th, 2006, 5:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: tranny replacement

If you have a lift to raise the car & a tranny jack, defenately drop it out the bottom, it will be much quicker. On the other hand if your small block is leaking oil this might be a good time to pull the whole thing & reseal the engine also. If you know what you're doing you won't even have to remove the hood.
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:39 PM
CF Active Member

Tony, not sure what buster is trying 2 tell u. he say's "If you know what you're doing you won't even have to remove the hood. " i don't think the guy have ever pulled an engine b4. u will need 2 remove the hood as u won't b able 2 clear the rad support or front end of the car. re & re'ing the trany is really not that hard 2 do-even by yourself. get a friend 2 help u, even by yourself u can do it with a floor jack. just take your time and be carful.
Old November 7th, 2006, 8:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Reply to 70mopar I have replaced many engines without "removing" the hood. What you do is loosen the rear hood hinge bolts just a bit where they monut to the fender, then remove the front hood hinge bolts completely. This lets the hinges pivot on the rear bolts. You can then raise the hood to a more vertical position alowing PLENTY of room to remove the engine, again, PLENTY OF ROOM to remove the engine!!! To suport the hood the front hinge bolts can be threaded back into the fenders & then let the hinges rest on top of the bolts. (this part does not work on every car) ADVANTAGES --- #1 This procedure only requires ONE person #2 You are far less likely to chip paint or damage the hood in some way because its not leaning against a wall (or tree depending on your situation) somewhere. POSIBLE DISADVANTAGE If you jack the car up pay attention to ceiling clearance because the hood is much higher now. I've used this procedure on many 60s GM vehicles including at least two '67 Impalas. ALSO I am not going to make any public assumptions about your mechanical knowlege.
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:20 PM
CF Active Member

first of all, saying u won't have to "remove" the hood is kinda correct i guess. maybe u should have made it clear that the hood was in fact "partially" removed from the car, as u simply can't flip it back while it is bolted in it's proper location. second, and i quote "ALSO I am not going to make any public assumptions about your mechanical knowlege." that is public, and don't be a smart a$$. u don't know me, i don't know u, and since this is a public forum, i'm not going 2 make any ***umptions about u, so lets just leave it @ that.[sm=idontcare.gif]
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:52 PM
CF Junior Member

There there 70mopar, don't get mad ----- I just taught you something for FREE, thats what this forum is for, sharing tips & tricks & knowlege. I don't know if it works on mopars since the hinges are differant.
Old November 8th, 2006, 7:40 AM
CF Active Member

brother, i ain't mad, i just don't like newbie's trying 2 boost they're posts with slag. B clear about your procedures, as it seems we all aren't as knowledgeable as yourself. i guess i'm lucky, i usually have friend's available 2 give me a hand if needed, sorry 'bout that.
Old November 8th, 2006, 3:15 PM
CF Junior Member

#1. Im not your brother. #2. Newbie??? sorry-- didn't know I was infringing on your territory #3. You talk about number of postings as if its some sort of status symbol. #4. Friends? You have no idea, but thanks for trying to slam me again, as you said before - you don't know me - so how would you know. #5 Yes, I have lots of experience that I share freely but, don't claim to know everything which is why I came to this forum.
Old November 8th, 2006, 6:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for my post count
Old November 8th, 2006, 7:17 PM
CF Active Member

lol +1

Quick Reply: tranny replacement