Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Trans prob

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2008, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans prob

I have a 1999 Chevy Cavalier with a auto trans...i just got done changing the motor and tranny and now i'm having a prob with it...when i start it and go to put it in drive it stalls. but when i unplug the big plugin in the front of the tranny i can shift it into drive and it will go but it will be in 2nd gear i have to wind up on the gas to get it to go any where and just doesnt shift. could this be a sensor?? or just a wire??? any info is great
Old April 17th, 2008, 3:40 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Trans prob

Sounds like the Torque converter clutch switch is stuck in the on position. Meaning the tranny is in 4th gear the entire time its in gear. Just like a manual transmission, trying to pull away from 4th gear will make it stall. Common problems for these cars.
Reinstall the big plugin you removed, and d\c the 4 pin blue plug on the front of the trans. This is the plug for the switch. If you don't do a lot of highway driving, you can just leave it as is. the only thing you lose by leaving it d\c, is 4th gear. So you will burn a bit more gas as you will be in 3rd gear ll the time.

If you want it fixed, you should take it to a tranny shop and have them fix it as it get a little technical. If you bought the tranny from an auto recycler, or jobber, go to them and see if they will cover the repair.
Old April 17th, 2008, 8:46 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: lilbronsonboy

I have a 1999 Chevy Cavalier with a auto trans...i just got done changing the motor and tranny and now i'm having a prob with it...when i start it and go to put it in drive it stalls. but when i unplug the big plugin in the front of the tranny truck part i can shift it into drive and it will go but it will be in 2nd gear i have to wind up on the gas to get it to go any where and just doesnt shift. could this be a sensor?? or just a wire??? any info is great
Sounds like the clutch switch is stuck or something...
Old April 17th, 2008, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

99 auto trans doesnt have a clutch switch??