Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

trans slipping,won't shift to 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2008, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trans slipping,won't shift to 3rd gear

It started this afternoon. It'll shift from 1st to 2nd sort of hard, but it won't get 3rd. This past weekend I changed the filter $ fluid, and it drove find.Now the fluid is brown not red.Can anybody help me please.
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: trans slipping,won't shift to 3rd gear

Means its getting super hot. Probably caused by the fluid failing to circulate as it should. You need to get it checked out by a mechanic.
Old February 18th, 2008, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

I went to a mechanic (actually 3 ) they all quoted me a price between 1200/1800 to rebuild it.Replacing one is about double. I was wondering is there such thing as a "GOOD USED TRANSMISSION."
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude change the fluid and filter again- obviously you did something wrong the first time and like euro said it is getting to hot, what are you gonna be out another $100? that would be time and money well spent if it fixes it instead of paying 12 -1800, guarantee that filter is in wrong- that has to be it and it is not letting the fluid circulate thus causing heat, and burning the clutches up
stop driving it immediately before you do any more damage and maybe you can still save it
The following users liked this post:
Elisia Friedman (January 29th, 2023)
Old February 19th, 2008, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Ehhget, I was just sitting here thinking, after reading your reply. You're right ,I did do something wrong,the seal that came with the filter wouldn't fit ,so I used the old one. I think I pushed it up to far,thus restricting the flow. Thanks for the wake up call.
The following users liked this post:
Elisia Friedman (January 29th, 2023)
Old February 19th, 2008, 8:33 PM
CF Junior Member

What kind of vehicle is this, if the fluid is getting dark that because its slipping because you have no 3rd gear. Doing another fluid change will not help. If this is a truck its probably the input cluthes that are burnt up, common problem with gm. I do alot of these fixes.
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a good quality filter OEM kit either from the dealer or maybeNAPA or Carquest. Checker and Autozone carry cheaper lower quality parts just to give you the lowest price and then you end up with a gasket that doesn't fit.
Then it's Sunday afternoon and your like "screw it I wanna get this thing done Im gonna jamb itin there, yeah that looks good." And you know its really not right, we've all done it then we are all pissed later - LOL. Good luck, maybe you can save it, let us know how it works out.
Old February 21st, 2008, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

I went to Carquest, bought a new filter kit, I guess it's a little to late,still won't get 3rd gear to come in. Looks like I'm rebuilding or replacing the trans. Anyway,Thanks for the info. Now I know to stay away from discount auto parts stores when buying important parts, again Thank you.
Old February 21st, 2008, 8:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Its not the parts that you bought it was burnt up before you did the first fluid change. Its common in those transmissions.
Old February 21st, 2008, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

to bad you're in IN. I had a job for you since you are GM tech.

Quick Reply: trans slipping,won't shift to 3rd gear