Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2007, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble starting

I have a 1983 350 and I just changed the lifters and push rods after sinking it in a mud hole. After installing them and adjusting the rocker arms I have been unable to get the engine to start. It turns over just fine and its getting spark and fuel, but it just refuses to crank all the way up. Are there any suggestions for troubleshooting this problem? I am not a mechanic so please be specific with your references
Old August 8th, 2007, 3:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: trouble starting

have a glance at your manual..
Old August 10th, 2007, 6:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Did you suck any water into the engine? You may want to check your compresion and timing.
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:58 AM
CF Junior Member

did u drop the distributar in on top dead center? maually turn the engine over with the 5/8ths bolt at the center of the crank or at the flywheel and pull the #1 sparkplug. Stick something in there like a small screwdriver and feel for piston comming up. If it comes up and the timing mark isnt near zero in the harmonic balanced then your on exhaust stroke and you need to keep going to get to compression stoke top dead center the timing mark should be at or atleast near 0 on the timing tab which is mounted off the timing cover. when you drop the distributor the rotor should be pointing at where #1 cylinder sparkplug wire is on the cap. mark the base with the cap on so u know where #1 is without the cap on. If you cant get it its probly because the bottom of distributor turns the oil pump and its not lining up at the bottom. look at how its facing on bottom of distributor and use a flashlight and long *** srewdriver or prybar to turn the oilpump shaft where it has to be. Its down the hole in the intake where distributor goes in. Once you get it as close as you can with the #1 mark put it all back together with the distributor loose but with a small amount of tension so its snug. Have a helper try to start it while you slowly move turn thre distributor to where it will stay running. set the timing from there
Old August 15th, 2007, 1:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Also did u change the oil and spark plugs and empty out carb? atleast trun it over to try to get the water out and I'd change the oil a few times right away and hope you didnt wash the rings and bearings out of it. To adjust pushrods you can do it by the chiltons procedure but if you dont have it I turn the engine over untill there is no tension on the rocker arm at all and tighten the rocker arm nut just tight enough where you cant turn the pushrod with your fingers. when you get em all to this point start it up with no valve covers and loosen the first nut until you hear it ticking. tighten it down just till the ticking stops the go another half turn. Repeat with all 16 rockers 1 by 1.It's messy but it works great.