Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Twin tank modification?

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2007, 12:23 AM
10X
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin tank modification?

Twin tank modification?

I have a 1985 Chevy Custom Deluxe 10 4X4 with twin fuel tanks. The passenger tank is rusted beyond repair. I want to use the driver’s side tank only. It appears there are 9 lines coming and going from the tank switching unit and 3 lines to each tank.
Does anyone have a picture, drawing or schematic of the lines and which one’s I have to use to accomplish this switch over to the drivers’ tank side only?

Thanks for any suggestions.
10X
Old January 14th, 2007, 6:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: Twin tank modification?

On my 86 CD C20 with dual tanks I have the same problem with the right side tank. I simply set the switch for the left side tank and that's where it stays.
Old January 15th, 2007, 12:22 AM
10X
CF Beginner

Thanks Golfer, but when I do that I get a slow leak out of the bad tank. I crawled under the truck tonight out in the freezing rain and snow. I cut the flexible lines coming from the good tank and pressurized it. I got fuel out of 1 of the lines and hooked it up to the line going to the pump on the other side of the switching unit. The engine fired and ran for a while until it ran out of gas. By the time I got back home with some gas “24” was just getting ready to start so I will find out tomorrow if everything works.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:45 AM
CF Pro Member

10X ... not sure what you mean by getting a slow leak out of the bad tank. Do you mean air leak ?
If thats the case it's probably the ball valve ( switching unit )is not fully closing off the bad tank.
Old January 15th, 2007, 3:58 PM
10X
CF Beginner

While the truck sits the fuel will slowly leak out of the bad tank rust holes. Not a terrible lot but enough to make a 2'x2' spot on the driveway. It appears as if it is siphoning from the good tank.