Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

vortec "spider" unit questions

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2010, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UPDATE!!! vortec "spider" unit questions

so, i've been looking and trying to compare the injector "spider" units form my 98 'hoe. i don't want to use a non delco one if they ain't good, but i haven't been able to determine this. i came across some older threads where the delco unit was bought for under $300, including bracket and gaskets. but when i look now, it's over $450 for everything from delco. i can get a delphi unit, the bracket and gaskets for just under $300. question is, is this delphi unit any good? someone else said that it's the same one as delco unit, just different box. any truth to this? dipping into funds i shouldn't be for this, but gotta get it fixed asap! any one ever used a non delco spider unit? is the delphi really the same as the delco? anyone work for gm and can get me one real cheap?

Last edited by maxxman04; February 17th, 2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: updated thread
Old February 15th, 2010, 6:46 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Delphi is the company that makes it if I remember correctly.
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:40 AM
CF Veteran

that's pretty much what i've read and heard. just odd that i can get the delphi unit and all for couple hundred less than delco. not gonna lose sleep tho. preeshyadit mdtahoe.
Old February 15th, 2010, 6:40 PM
CF Veteran

so, my sister works for oreillys auto parts, which carries the borg warner mpi conversion upgrade for the vortec injection. funny thing is, after running numbers and a bit of research, this unit is actually made by delphi, just sold to borg warner. yet it's couple hundred dollars less than the delco or delphi one. interesting...so, i'm gonna go with it.
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

UPDATE!
almost 4 hours (alot quicker than i expected) and the new mpi spider is in!!! man, the mess the stock one made tho, wow!! alot of cleaning underneath the upper intake. th hoe now runs awesome, lots more power, better response. still got a little bug to work out tho. noticed that at idle, there's a slight rpm fluctuation, maybe 100 rpm's, maybe. pretty consistent. double checked all connections, hoses, lines. everything is hooked up. then it dawned on me that the number 3 and 5 plugs might be gunked up. the original ones i pulled right after purchase of rig were extremely ashed over, sooted. just the number 3 and 5. after a month or so, i pulled all the plugs again and found 3 and 5 covered again. so now, with fingers crossed, i'm hoping those two plugs are messed up, causing my fluctuation in rpm. i did pull the plug wires off one at a time on bank 1, noticed that on cylinders 1, 3, and 7 motor did miss substantially, but on 5, motor ran the same. there is spark coming out the distributor, as i watched it jump from terminal to wire, so like i say, i'm hoping this little bug is in fact 1 or 2 dead plugs. otherwise, the conversion was pretty easy, and even with the bug, i am beyond happy. i highly recommend to anyone with the cpi vortec motor convert to the mpi injectors. 3-5 hours work, less than $500. well worth it.
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

oh, in researching the different companies that sell the spider units, i've determined that delphi makes 95% of the units for everyone. all the companies just box them in their own box, sell it for whatever. i personally purchase my unit from oreilly's auto parts. they sell it under the borg warner name, but borg warner buys these from delphi. the other 5% are remanufactured units. at least this is what i've been able to find out so far.
Old February 24th, 2010, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the O'reilly part number if you don't mind me asking?

Does it come with the fuel pressure regulator and gaskets?
Old February 24th, 2010, 5:33 PM
CF Veteran

BWD part number 63886. the kit i got did come with gaskets, regulator already mounted and the new bracket. i ordered new bracket as well, cause it said it didn't come with it, but it did. if store you go to has it in stock, check the box to see if it has bracket, that way you know if you need it. here is a link to oreilly site. it has my 'hoe listed and closest store to me, but you can change all that for you. link shows the injection unit and such as well as part number.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...998&vi=1303872
Old February 24th, 2010, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I have a '99 Classic Z71 so the parts should be the same, I know a guy who works there so I am going to try and save a few bucks.