Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Replacing Steel Fuel Lines with Rubber?

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2010, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Steel Fuel Lines with Rubber?

I'm currently cleaning up a new to me 1998 Venture. In the middle of a LIM job, noticed that the brake lines were pretty rusty and it was easy for me to get at them with half the engine out so I started tackling that. Then, while looking at the brake lines, I saw that the fuel lines had the touch of death also.

After reading this page, http://floppytop.blogspot.com/2008/0...fuel-leak.html, it looks like I cannot replace the three-line package very easily (I looked online and couldn't even find the part at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/). I don't _really_ want to replace with rubber fuel lines, but it doesn't look like I might have much choice.

So my question is, would you do it if it were your van? If I kept the lines well up, next to the floor boards, and away from the exhaust, any foreseeable problems?
Old February 25th, 2010, 1:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you go that route, make dang sure you use high pressure, fuel injection hose. standard hose doesn't have all that high of a psi rating. hate to have one burst on ya. an add measure, tie them up extremely well, and maybe use a heat shield between them and motor side, just keep heat shield a touch off the lines. ideally, if you can find a wrecking yard with this van, you might be able to pull off lines from it, swap over. otherwise, use the right hose, and flare the ends of the metal lines for proper seal. it's not really ideal, but if done right and rubber is protected from heat and damage, should be ok.
Old February 25th, 2010, 2:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Also, avoid gas line antifreeze and injector/carb cleaners. They tend to dry-rot the rubber from the inside.