Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

What chip/programer..

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2009, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What chip/programer..

Should I get for my chevy 2500 4wd (2000 - Year)? What would improve the power and gas mileage. Gas mileage is a pretty big deal to me, so I want to lean more towards that, but it would be nice if the power was increased some, but that is not a big deal since I do not need any extra power. Just fun to have. lol.
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM
CF Beginner

You have a 3/4 ton truck with 4w/d. Improved mileage is not likely regardless of what chip you put in it. Increased power yes, but that will come with less efficiency. (Can't change the laws of physics with a chip.)

Lots of aftermarket claims of increased power and efficiency are available, but few will give you anything notable. Certainly nothing to justify their expense anyway. (Of course, that's just one opinion.)
Old February 25th, 2009, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

Yes. Thank you for your help. That kinda sucks that they don't help that much :/ Oh and from your knowledge what is the best place to purchase accesories from? Such as tires, pipes ect. (As of right now im trying to just look at dif websites to get pricing ideas and what I want to add)

Last edited by Extacie; February 25th, 2009 at 8:52 AM.
Old February 26th, 2009, 4:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

No offense to Irdaneel, but I'm currently at 18MPG(Stock tires) with my 04 2500HD, factory rated at 11.5MPG at time of purchase.

A Century fiberglass cap gave me 3MPG back, and I got most of the rest from changing my 410s to 342s. With the cost of the job, the only way I saved money with the gear change was the two long trips I made with the truck that year. Driving around town improved so dramatically it cut my cost of gas almost in half. RPMs were reduced by at least a third overall.

I purchased a programmer, but I've not seen a whole lot of improved MPG from it. Many guys swear by Nelsontune and BlackBear chips, but generally for more power. Irdaneel is absolutely correct inasmuch as you're moving a lot of steel, and it's not realistic to expect the impossible.(My CCLB is 7100 lbs.)

I got a CAI, and while it's more than compensated for the 410s when I need a little power, it also burns more gas. Most mileage improvements are hard-won, and give back less than 1/2MPG, but they do add up. A gentle foot on the throttle is like pure gold. Some people drive in stocking feet to give them more sensitivity to the gas pedal.

As for parts purchases, there is a good reason the local Hi-Performance store is in business, but you can find some good deals on the net,too.

Last edited by therewolf; February 26th, 2009 at 4:33 PM.