Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

What year is it?

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What year is it?

I have a 350 in my CJ5. I was told that it has the 2 rear main seal, but another mechanic told me it is probably a 2 piece rear main seal. Either way, How can I figure out what year the motor is? Can I look on the block somehwere for a vin/serial number of such?

Reason is, I eventually want to rebuild it, but it also has an oil leak and I want to hae everythig in line when i get ready to work on it.

If any other info is needed, I can see what I can come up with.

thanks
JJ
Old October 20th, 2008, 1:30 PM
CF Veteran

Default RE: What year is it?

go for a casting number on the side or back of the block or id number on a pad on the passenger side sticking out from the block just under the head mating surface .
Old October 20th, 2008, 5:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the casting number would be the way to go it should be located at the back of the block on the drivers side

here is a web site that will tell you the year of the block once you find out what the casting number is
http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
Old October 22nd, 2008, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

I was on my way in here today because a friend told me about a casting number, but he didn't really specify where it was. well, he said it was to the upper corner on the front about the water pump, but I couldn't find it. I will check these other spots. thanks

Also, on the driver side valve cover, the oil cap, and also PCV valve is in place, but on the drivers side, there is another hole which I thought looked like a PCV insert, because it had a spongy type gasket? inserted, but nothing inside the gasket. It was wide open to the inside of the cover. what does this sound like to you guys?

thanks.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 2:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the passenger side thing your talking about is a breather that hooks to the intake tube after the filter before the intake.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

ok thanks. If it isn't obvious,I am engine illiterate. I have no idea what you are referring to Cams, but I will llook into it. I do like this type/year, because it is less electronic, but still know nothing about them. I will be venturing into fixing/rebuilding this for next summer. I have mechanics around me if needed, but see no reason to pay someone to fix/rebuild unless I absolutley need to. This is justa recreational vehicle.

I think I have the casting number GM 3970014 was number I came across, so I will be looking for further details into what I have, andoptions to fix. Thanks a ton guys

JJ

EDITI found out that I have a 70-76 350 w/ 2-4 main cap bolts? Not sure what this means, but will it affect my buying decisions any? As in, will I need to know whether it is 2 or 4 bolts when I purchase certain parts? thanks
Old October 22nd, 2008, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

As far as looking for stuff online, how do i go about figuring out what vehicle this engine came in? I have always been asked that when looking for parts. Does it matter, since the engine isn't in the original vehicle?
Old October 22nd, 2008, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

I am not looking for any particular parts right now. I was just strolling threw on a few of the local parts store sites. This isn't anything I will jump right into, but just gradually do what needs to be done. I just plan on getting done before next summer arrrives.

thanks for the help Gary