Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Whats coming out of my pipe?

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2008, 3:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whats coming out of my pipe?

Anyone know if there is a tool to do some testing of your emissions at home? I am going to doing some work on my van to improve emissions and I would like to test what is coming out of my pipe, thanks.
Old April 1st, 2008, 4:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Whats coming out of my pipe?

We have pollutant detectors for checkng the quality of air in houses and any dangerous gasses that may be present in the ventilation system, but they will not register a high enough number to tell you how much is coming from your exhaust.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 1:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF the van is 96 and up and there is no check engine light on at any time then it will pass emmissions. these vehicles {well in mass} dont check the emmissions through the tail pipe. Instead the test is done through the on-board computer {pcm 0r ecm}. so in other words yhese vehicles have a tester which you can read through a expennsive scanner.

i have a blue point digital multi meter {made by otc} that i have the atatchment for checking hc and co levels but not nox. so check out otc multi meters and see if they still sell them. i doubt it. mine is 12 years old wich cost me at the time a fortune i think $1600.00 but included other items as well. I did buy these through snap-on so maybe check with them too
Old April 3rd, 2008, 3:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks beer thirty - I know they check via the computer now but I want to do some of my own testing on my pipe so Ill check with snap.
Old April 24th, 2008, 2:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Best you could do is whack a wideband O2 sensor on it and atleast have your air fuel mixture correct (14.7:1).