Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Why did it take so long for GM.....

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2008, 9:01 PM
VVT engines

Default Why did it take so long for GM.....

..........to start using VVT engines?
Old November 23rd, 2008, 8:54 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Why did it take so long for GM.....

Because solid valve timing was a lotbetter. duh!! [8D] [/align][/align]The reason for GM going down so quick utterly and directly are GREEDY u nions. Unios lobbied for higher salaries. 2x higher. Especially UAW. Now GM is going broke paying $80,000/yr to someone with only a high school education to turn bolts on an assembly line. Thats the problem.[/align]
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
VVT engines

WTF, thats why every Subaru, Nissan, Honda, Toyota........last 200000 pretty easily. and GM cars would die at 70,000..You have got to be kidding. nothing GM has made can beat anything Toyota has made since about 1995......every car in the Subaru, Honda and Toyota line ups use VVT engines. All Nissans use VVT except the Titan(POS anyways). VVT engines are the key. They burn cleaner, breathe easier, more fuel efficientand create more HP. THAT IS WHY GM, DODGE, and FORD have finally started using them IN A LIMITED way some of their cars. BUt it may be too little, too late.

2009 Camaro V-6.....has a VVT engine and puts out 300HP.....in the long run this car will last longer and have fewer engine problems than the V-8's.

Hopefully, GM is still in buisness so I can get my Camaro.
Old November 24th, 2008, 6:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Variable valve timing has nothing to do with longevity, though it may provide a little better fuel mileage.Find me some solidproof and I'll beleive it.[/align][/align]And btw, my company has workvans and trucks with solid timingthat are driven daily,thesevehiclespull heavy trailers daily. We have a 6.0L, 5.7L, 4.8L, and a2.2L Vortec. None of which give problems. [/align][/align]Anyone who suggest that GM is falling from grace because they are not developing many VVT engines is a loony.Theres no proof to support that.[/align][/align]
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: EvansBlue

Variable valve timing has nothing to do with longevity, though it may provide a little better fuel mileage.Find me some solidproof and I'll beleive it.[/align][/align]And btw, my company has workvans and trucks with solid timingthat are driven daily,thesevehiclespull heavy trailers daily. We have a 6.0L, 5.7L, 4.8L, and a2.2L Vortec. None of which give problems. [/align][/align]Anyone who suggest that GM is falling from grace because they are not developing many VVT engines is a loony.Theres no proof to support that.[/align][/align]
Yup....And I can back that up with facts from my personal experience. . Nothing wrong with GM engines, vvt or otherwise.There is too much mis-information out there that unfortunately gets repeated.

I bought a 94 GMC Jimmy new in 94.(essentially the same drivetrain/vehicle as Chev Blazer) It was used for towing a boat and camper. Alsoa utility trailer loaded real heavy with firewood on many many occasions.And a little bit of off-road use too. Also a lot of highway cruising miles. While I had it I did all the routine maintenance myself. It was well maintained. Never had aproblem except replacing regular wear and tear stuff. I didn't want to part with it so I gave it to my Son who is still driving it so I get to visit it when I am over there. It now has 200,000 miles on it and it still runs fine and everything works. Original drivetrain. The front fenders are rusting out and need to be replaced, though, but it is almost 15 years old now. I could go on, but I won't.

Why GM didn't make vvt sooner, who knows........ It sure has nothing to do with engine longevity though.

Old November 25th, 2008, 7:17 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: EvansBlue

Because solid valve timing was a lotbetter. duh!! [8D] [/align][/align]The reason for GM going down so quick utterly and directly are GREEDY u nions. Unios lobbied for higher salaries. 2x higher. Especially UAW. Now GM is going broke paying $80,000/yr to someone with only a high school education to turn bolts on an assembly line. Thats the problem.[/align]
That's part of the problem, the other part is that retired workers are now eligible for up to 95% of there pay as their pension. That is impossible for a company to maintian.
As far as the product goes, my company has had a fleet of Chevy pick ups and vans over the last 30 years and consistantly get over 200,000. miles with many different drivers.
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so now we are a little off topic but if you think that you need to be a member of the UAW in order to know what it's like to work on a line is like you are wrong.
How about the furniture industry in NC for example, or in my case working for the same company for the last 30 years and spending the last 15 estimating one project after the other.
It's a simple fact of life for most of us that no matter what line of bussiness you are in it becomes very repetitive in a short amount of time. The difference is that I don't blame the company that gave me work in the first place for my problems, I am "Free" to walk out the door whenever I want and likewise they can send me on my way. That simple fact is what makes me do a good job and also if I can excel in my job the company will want to keep me around because I provide a benefit, not because a tells them they need to.