Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Wont Start

Old March 8th, 2008, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont Start

I have a 2002 2500 with a 6.0 and for the third time it has not stared. The first time it started 15 minutes later after doing nothing. The second time it started 5 hrs later after we got it off the towtruck and the 3rd time it has still not started. When you get in and put the key in everything is normal and when the key gets turned to the accessory position everything is normal, the lights come on on the dash, headlights, radio, everrything works fine. But when you try to crank the motor it does absolutely nothing. Not even a noise or a click or anything. After the second time i took it to two mechanics shops and they both were unable to find anything because the truck would not do anything wrong. They said it was not throwing any codes and they went over the keyless entry system and checked the battery, alternator, and the starter and everthing comes back good. They told me there is nothing i can do unless the truck is acting up while it is in the shop. Any Ideas
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Wont Start

when its not starting, does the security lights on the dash flash? If it does then there may be a problem with the passlock system. If you turn the key to the ignition position, wait for the light to stop flashing,(usually 10mins), it should start fine.
If the light isn't flashing,vcheck the yellow wire coming from the ignition switch, check to make sure it has 12V during crank. If you don't have 12V, you're looking at an ign switch. If you do have 12V, check the starter relay under the hood. You might try switching it with another relay to see if that cures the problem.
Old March 9th, 2008, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Does it happen when it's cold or hot, or both? Older GM starters would do this when they got hot, but would work after they cooled down. Just had to replace the starter when it happened.. But I haven't heard of it happening with any newer models. The solenoid is still built onto the starter like the older ones, but GM got smart and put a heat shield over it.
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:44 PM
CF Junior Member

I learned that some Chevy trucks had bad ingniton switch, I just hope that is not what's causing that. Your fuel pump may not be turning on at accessory prior to ignition, so you might need to replace that if it is faulty. Probably you have an electrical problem like a lose connection. In some cases if the large positive battery cable has corrosion in the terminals at either end (starter and battery) it also causes starting issues. Other auto parts to inspect are your starter relay and fuel filter as it may be plugged.