HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

2006 HHR LS PWR Steering

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2013, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 HHR LS PWR Steering

My 2006 HHR tends to drop it's PWR Steering within a block of starting it. I cannot find a reservoir for fluid. Is this an electric system, and what is the cure?
The PWR Steering comes back when I start the car but fails soon after starting the car, speed and distance are not an issue that I can describe; however, at times I can drive up to 1/2 mile under 20 MPH before failure occurs.

Is this a speed/distance issue? I can drive in a circle for 2-3 minutes before it fails!

Befuddled....
Old March 5th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Kazcheff,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your HHR. Would you please PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN, so I may look into this further.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 5th, 2013, 3:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazcheff
My 2006 HHR tends to drop it's PWR Steering within a block of starting it. I cannot find a reservoir for fluid. Is this an electric system, and what is the cure?
The PWR Steering comes back when I start the car but fails soon after starting the car, speed and distance are not an issue that I can describe; however, at times I can drive up to 1/2 mile under 20 MPH before failure occurs.

Is this a speed/distance issue? I can drive in a circle for 2-3 minutes before it fails!

Befuddled....
The system in a HHR has what is called a power steering assist motor. There is no reservoir. The motor is attached to the steering column. I have replaced the motors before but iirc GM was replacing the entire column.
Old March 5th, 2013, 4:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

wasn't there a recall for the ps motors for the cobalts of that year?

The HHR is basically a cobalt. customer service will check to see if that recall applies if you pm them your vin
Old March 6th, 2013, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the hook!