Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Past Chevrolet Cars > HHR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Welcome to Chevrolet forum!
Welcome to Chevrolet forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Chevrolet forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 03:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Chevrolet HHR key stuck in ignition

Well, like the title says, the key to my 2010 HHR is stuck in the ignition and I cannot either pull the key out or start the car. I suspect vandalism but can't prove it as yet. Does anyone have a solution to retrieving the key and re-starting the car?
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!

Last edited by Pogoer; 12-24-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 PM
CF Addict

Is the battery dead? as there is a solenoid that must be powered to release the key. It can be released manually.

Will the key rotate in the cylinder at all?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Official GM Rep

GMLouisFischer

Pogoer,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your HHR. This may be due to the shift control linkage being out of adjustment or the ignition lock cylinder may need to be replaced. These are just suggestions and are not meant as a diagnosis.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old 04-28-2013, 02:09 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Key stuck in ignition with car running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service View Post
Pogoer,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your HHR. This may be due to the shift control linkage being out of adjustment or the ignition lock cylinder may need to be replaced. These are just suggestions and are not meant as a diagnosis.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Today is Sunday and all dealers in my area are closed. I took my grandkids to the movies today, but when we arrived I could not turn the ignition key off nor take it out. So, there we were in a parking lot with no way to kill the engine. I ended up coming back home and researched this issue---with engine running in driveway---and found out it is a COMMON problem with the HHR. General Motors KNOWS the shifter linkage is sub-standard (made of plastic) and has known about this common problem for FOUR YEARS. You people should be ashamed of yourselves for selling items you know are sub-par and will break instead of fixing the problem.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Official GM Rep

GMLouisFischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliklok00 View Post
Today is Sunday and all dealers in my area are closed. I took my grandkids to the movies today, but when we arrived I could not turn the ignition key off nor take it out. So, there we were in a parking lot with no way to kill the engine. I ended up coming back home and researched this issue---with engine running in driveway---and found out it is a COMMON problem with the HHR. General Motors KNOWS the shifter linkage is sub-standard (made of plastic) and has known about this common problem for FOUR YEARS. You people should be ashamed of yourselves for selling items you know are sub-par and will break instead of fixing the problem.
Hi there,

I am very sorry that you've experienced this vehicle issue today. Were you able to get your vehicle towed back to your home?

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 PM
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliklok00 View Post
the hhr has one of the best powertrains out there. While your mad about your $200 shifter be glad your not in a different brand that needs a $5000 engine or transmission.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 PM

Tags
2010, 2011, acc, car, cars, chevrolet, chevy, hhr, ignition, key, keys, locked, recall, remove, stuck