HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Has yours lasted ?

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2015, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has yours lasted ?

I noticed most of these threads are 4+ years old...

So, how has your HHR faired over the years ? Mine :

bought new in '07. 2.4L, Auto, LT2 pkg. Currently 102k miles.

I've always only used Mobil 1 synthetic and have done all of the oil changes.

List of troubles:

*#1 issue: I have had a clunk/rattle in it since new that no dealer has been able to fix. When going over a speed bump, or similar obstacle, you get this noise that sounds like a loose suspension component. You can also feel it on the driver's side. I had the struts replaced around 75K miles and no difference (they needed it). It just makes the car seem cheap when you experience it.

* Warped rotors from almost day one. Like everyone else, mine were horrible. I gave up on GM's half-hearted attempt of remedying them (turning them) and instead, bought aftermarket rotors that were slotted and drilled.

* Squeaky *** rear brakes. One of the biggest thorns in my side, is why GM went with drum brakes AND no option for rear disc (unless it was an SS) ?
These have required much more maintenance than any other drum car I have owned in the past.

* Power steering motor crapped out on an exit ramp at 50 mph. That was fun. I changed it myself for $100, since GM was too cheap to recall the '07's.

* TCM Transmission Control Module needed reprogramming. Car started lurching and shifting early. About $240 for that repair.

* New struts, which I consider normal wear components.

Overall, not too bad for 8 years of driving. I like the fact that I can carry a lot of stuff in it with the rear seats down. I do not like the ****-poor front passenger area lighting. You cannot see jack at night inside it. Also, I found the traction in snow to be horrible. Running Michelins on it. For a front wheel drive car, I was disappointed in how bad it can slip and slide and not gain traction. I have had other brands of tires on it and it made little difference. I don't live in Michigan, so I wasn't gonna spring for winter tires.

Would I buy another one ? No. Visibility has proven to be downright dangerous at intersections when making a turn at a crosswalk. I taught both my kids to drive in this car, and impressed upon them, the absolute need to move your head around the pillar when making a turn, especially a left turn.

ps - the heated seats still work and have been great

What's your story ?

Last edited by Ace Rockola; February 13th, 2015 at 9:45 AM.
Old February 24th, 2015, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a serious clunk as you described and it was the sway bar bushings Very inexpensive and you can do it your self but it is a little tricky getting to the nuts and bolts.

Good luck Kit Phone 850 607 9060
Old February 24th, 2015, 7:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sway bar links make single loud clunks when they go bad. steering columns,I-shafts and racks from these cars make a multiple clunky/rattle over bumps. It is definitely annoying but its hard to justify the expense to repair when its not safety related.

the engines are very reliable.
A set of very aggressive tread snow tires would make it track good in the snow. winter tires without deep tread are junk...why I don't like ice tires...make sure the rear thrust angle is correct or the rear end will wander all over in poor traction conditions(for any car).

Panel vans are definitely bad for blind spots.