HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

HHR Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2008, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HHR Transmission fluid change

I have about 30,000 miles on my 2006 HHR 2.4L and this time when I changed the oil....hmmm...I thought....let's change the transmission fluid and filter.....I dropped the tranny pan and drained all the fluid and changed the filter and buttoned it back up....went on top to look for filler tube and ......no luck!!! I definitely felt a little stupid...

I have seen some about vents and plugs to fill the transmission through but need a little help...

Need to know how to get the transmission fluid in it....I did measure what I drained out...

thanks
david
Old April 26th, 2008, 6:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: HHR Transmission fluid change

Purchasing a Service Manual from Helm.Inc is a worthwhile investment -Late Model GM automatics are something they don't expect too many DIY's to attempt servicing ! Having the vehicle on a lift is probably mandatory.When they make it this difficult to work on - I look for a way to install an in-line external filter in the oil cooler lines - I'll be crawling around under My HHR this weekend to map out this situation. Somebody will probably tell You that if it shifts OK and there is no fliud leakage - leave it alone ! The date of Your post makes Me hope that You have it back on the road by now.
Old December 20th, 2008, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: HHR Transmission fluid change

I to changed my tranny oil and filter with no help from the dealer,I ended up subscibing to www.eautorepair.com,they have 3 choices,1.pay $12 for a week (which I did) 2. pay $17 for a month or 3. pay $30 for a year.I have not had a lot of time to explore the site but I did find what I wanted.After draining the fluid and putting on a new filter I pulled off the tranny lines where they bolt up to the tranny, and blew out the lines which run through the radiator with compressed air,it is messy but I want all my pipes cleaned out if ya know what I mean. I then took a clear hose and jammed it into the upper hole (which is the presure line)where the two radiator/tranny lines connect to the tranny,I then unscrewed the breather cap which is located on the top of the tranny,it is a black ****,I poured in about five quarts and then had my wife jump in the car and start it up while I was holding the clear hose into the top hole of where the tranny lines bolt up to the tranny,if you don't hold the hose it will blow out,only took me once to learn that and getting sprayed with tranny oil isn't fun,once the car is started the fluid will begin to pump out of the tranny through the clear hose,once you see the fluid is clear tell the person in the car to shut it off.

Next reconnect the tranny lines to the tranny and dump about 2 or 3 more quarts back in,next start the car and with the brake on run through all the gears waiting for 2 seconds in each gear before moving on,when you have done that then crawl under the car and look for a small bolt which is screwed into the tranny,it is about the size of a pencil eraser and is located on the left side of the tranny when you are looking at the front of the car and the bolt is facing toward the inside of the drivers tire,once you locate the plug/bolt remove it and start the car back up and let it run,at this point there might be tranny oil running out of the plug or not,if there is oil running out wait til it stops and put the plug back in and you are done,if there is not oil running out then start adding oil til the oil starts running out the plug hole,once that happens wait til it stops running out and put the plug in and screw your breather back in on top of the tranny and you are done...With my filter and flush I put it 12 quarts,it is messy and it sucks but it is the only way to do a complete flush(that I know of) unless you want the dealer to do it for big $$$$$ I have $114.00 in parts,can't imagine what the dealer would of charged me,hope this helps some one..
Old February 13th, 2015, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

I checked youtube and found a great video on changing the ATF. It convinced me not to mess with it. I think the dealer wants around $200, which in this case seems worthwhile, as the fluid and filter alone are at least $75. Overall, this looks like a pita for a shade tree mechanic.

The video is of a Cobalt, which is the same as the HHR.

Old February 13th, 2015, 1:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
This trans is a 4T40E, no dipstick, If you look on the top of the trans you will see a red or maybe black cap, screw that off, that is your fill, The check plug is right below the the right side axle. Fill it through the cap till it runs out, start the car and fill it again till it runs out. Gary