HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

OnStar Disabling

Old February 29th, 2008, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OnStar Disabling

Hello, I just purchased a new HHR, traded in my old one so I could get the solid rear quarter panel.
Now I would like to know if anyone has located the onstar unit on the hhr's yet.

I have seen posts on other forums for different vehicles, some say behind the glove box, some say in the trunk.
I will go searching all over if I have to but I would prefer to avoid all that.If anyone has found it, it sure would be appreciated.
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: OnStar Disabling

As stated in GM's Service Information: Right side of the rear compartment, behind the right rear wheel well

If you don't mind me asking, why would you want to disable the onstar system?
Old March 1st, 2008, 2:20 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

figures GM has nothing better to do then watch him drive around all day and moniter him I guess.....
Old July 6th, 2008, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Greetings,
I'm here simply looking for information, with no other agenda beyond removing an undesirable feature in a new car.

This week we bought an '08 HHR. For various reasons, non of which are either illegal or paranoid, my wife & I both want the OnStar gone. We are both in our mid-50s, I'm a retired cop and she's been with her PD for 34 years. We are law-abiding people, but come from an older generation & backgrounds that leave us unimpressed by most of the extraneous frills on the car. We like the HHR, had to pay extra to have the one with most of the configuration we wanted shipped in from 500 miles south in another state.
I am not knocking the car.

But- we never wanted anything to do with OnStar, and while we did know a free one-year subscription was included, we understood we would be the ones to activate it. That meant we could (and did) choose not to activate it. Today, in going through the OnStar papers that came with the manual, I found several items in the "agreement" that we do not agree with, and called OnStar to make sure they cancel any form of connection with us and our car, officially. That's when I found out the dealer had kindly activated it for us, and further that OnStar will not de-activate it until the introductory period of one year has ended. Period.
I was hung up on twice, despite using a civil tone of voice, and told there was no supervisor available to speak to about this apparently unchangeable OnStar policy.

We specified clearly with our Chebby dealer about what we wanted & did not want in this new car, and passed on other options such as satellite radio that we couldn't care less about. We were told OnStar came standard on all GMs & we'd be stuck with it. Based on our understanding that we'd be able to not use it, we reluctantly accepted it and bought the HHR.

It's just kinda a personal quirk. I don't like people tiptoing through my vehicles, either physically or electronically, and want OnStar out of it. The fact that they exhibit such arrogance in telling me they'll maintain contact with my car whether I want them to or not only increases my desire to avoid them completely.

Preliminary to getting an attorney involved, I'm hoping somebody here can give me some simple tips on how to disable OnStar in an '08 HHR. In looking through the Internet for more info, I find a number of entries about disconnecting this or that in other model GMs, and a couple suggestions on re-wiring & soldering the module, but I don't want to get into anything that requires snipping, cutting, soldering or other physical alterations.
I've seen a fuse removal mentioned for other GM models, but I'm never sure what's integrated with what in current cars & reluctant to try that for fear it may cause the transmission to drop out. I've seen mention of one GM owner who removed the OnStar antenna (leaving a non-weather-resistant hole I don't want) but the OnStar system still apparently functioned without it.

It may be hard for some to understand, but we simply do not want this in our car, and if anybody can tell me how to disable it without either damaging wiring or affecting other systems, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.
Denis
Old July 6th, 2008, 8:59 PM
Banned

The best way to make sure its d\c and in no way can anyone from OnStar communicate with your vehicle would be to simply pull the plugs from the OnStar Module(VCIM). This will not affect any other moudles in the vehicle. The only thing the dealer will notice is when they try to communicate with it using a scan tool, they will recieve a message saying "Could not communicate with VCIM"
Also rememebr when you d\c the VCIM, you will not be able to use the hands free calling feature as it is built into the VCIM.
If you can turn a screw driver you shouldn't have too much problem getting at the module.
Also If you want to d\c the XM radio, you can simply pull the connectors off the digital radio reciever while your in there. Again with no adverse affect to any other component in the car

Right side of the rear compartment, behind the right rear wheel well

(1)
Digital Radio Receiver (U2K)

(2)
Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM) (UE1)

(3)
G403

(4)
Battery Current Sensor

(5)
Battery

(6)
Inline Fuse 50 AMP
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Shawn, that helps a bunch.
I'd already looked inside the small access panel on the right rear side & found it was only for the taillights, didn't see anything that looked remotely like a removable module. Just printed your diagram & went out to look again. Didn't evenknow the battery's by the spare tire.
Guess I'll wait till tomorrow & get the toolbox out, didn't realize I'd have to remove that entire plastic side panel to get at it.
Just unplug any & all leads attached to the box?
I'm wondering what affect this'll have on warrantee issues with the dealer. I did check the manual & the fuse box layout, it appears one fuse works both the satellite radio (which we don't have) and the OnStar, removed it. That doesn't seem to affect anything with the standard AM/FM/CD player. If that circuit only carries those two components, would it be safe to assume the easiest way to disable the OnStar would be to just pull the fuse & let the service department replace it as necessary for regular servicing so their diagnostic system won't scream too loud?
Don't care about losing the in-car cellphone Hands Free whatever, we'll never use it.
Denis
Old July 7th, 2008, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Shawn,
In further talks with OnStar today that got nowhere, and then with the dealer to see what might be involved in disabling the box at their end, the service department had no answer at first & then called back later saying they couldn't disable it without affecting other systems. Exactly what other systems might be tied together wasn't clear, except for "It might do..." and "It could do..."
I don't know what your level of GM involvement or expertise might be with the '08 HHR, but are you aware of any other systems that might be affected by unplugging all cables in & out of the OnStar box?
Thanks.
Denis
Old July 7th, 2008, 4:01 PM
Banned

In my line of work, I specialize in diagnosing and repairing OnStar systems, as well as other electronics in GM Vehicles. I can assure you that the ONLY way that Onstar is integrated into the car is through the radio. It has the ability to mute the radio, and send its own audio through the speakers. Onstar also has the ability to scan the vehicle for codes, and be able to call for help if the airbags deploy. There will be no adverse affects of disabling the Onstar system. The dealer is hesitant to do it becuase they could be held liable if there was ever an accident, and you needed help but Onstar could not contact you. That being said, there is a waiver you can sign to have them do it, or you can just do it yourself.

Old July 7th, 2008, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, Shawn.
Sent you an email.
Denis
Old July 8th, 2008, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Anybody else had this go-round in getting rid of OnStar?
Denis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OnStar Disabling