HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

OnStar Disabling

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2009, 4:13 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No, you wer right...it is a 50 amp fuse. But its not for the onstar. It just happens to be visible from that view. Probably going to feed most of the accessories in the car
Old June 3rd, 2009, 4:21 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know they can track you through your cell phone, don't you.
I agree with privacy issues but they will watch one way or the other.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 6:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shawn, you know, when you're trying to reach low orbit with a signal, maybe 50amps isn't too far off. I'm picturing a bolt of blue lightning going to outer space....
Old June 16th, 2009, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 Silverado Onstar Location

Can you assist me in finding the Onstar location in a 2006 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab?
Old June 17th, 2009, 4:18 PM
Banned

behind the glove compartment. You can access the connectors through there, but the remove the unt you must remove the entire dash pad.
Look for a silver box with 2 - 3 connectors and a couple coax going to it
Old September 8th, 2009, 3:18 AM
CF Beginner

Smile

There is no problem if you want to disable the OnStar in your HHR. You own it - period. OnStar does not tell their people the full facts, OnStar does not tell their dealers the full facts, OnStar is Big Brother in your HHR. I am about to start a new website (domain to be determined) where you can have my tech do it if you live in the N. West USA or Western Canada. We are also putting together a kit and instructions (price yet to be determined) as well. The work on your HHR will be done by a professional. The OnStar Unit contains a 3 Watt Cell Radio that is designed to work even if the antenna is destroyed in an accident - And it will ! This puppy will phone home under even the most serious of conditions. Does OnStar have the ability to track & trace you at will? Yes. Can they locate you? Yes. Think of your car as a computer and OnStar the GPS based modem. with our system you can disable it so that when you decide to sell the car we can re-enable it or if you are like me you can shut it down for good. You last known position can be a tree in the North woods! If you tamper with the device and do not know what you are doing you can prevent the car from starting. Feel free to email me. Why do it? Privacy - It is Our Right.
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Banned

What are you trying to sell here? a glorified fuse puller? or just some jumper leads for the high speed lan?
What are you trying to offer that the average joe cannot do for themselves?
Old September 8th, 2009, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default OnStar Update & Reply

The ave Joe you say? Five dealers with so called trained OnStar people could not figure out how to do this. Again five dealers. Then they called OnStar and were told it could not be done - I will repeat could not be done. Not that they did not want it done.

When you own the car you own the OnStar. Now to your point. The ave. Joe would have to use more than a screwdriver and the poor diag. shown to determine what needs to be done. The info talked about (2) plugs not (3) but (2) plugs that needed to be disconnected. The diag. does not even look like the unit in my HHR. There is no XM module but, no matter the OnStar unit has multiple connectors as in (3) not (2) and many people are told by OnStar (myself included) that there is a battery backup in the system (again more OnStar BS) OnStar the OFF Shore company. There was a metal bracket holding the unit in place. To get to it and pull the black plug was simple - RESULT: NO ABILITY TO START CAR. Hey you know that anyway if you work for GM. So do I risk an error code, computer damage? All the BS GM service managers claim. Then what connectors do you remove? If there is power backup the unit would still send GPS info. Oh, yes it would & does because I bench tested it.

Correct I opened the unit and examined the entire two piece design. No backup power. Wow OnStar if I wanted the over priced Big Brother service I expect to get the backup I was promised. But , hey - the units ability to understand English had not worked in 13 months of trying to get the dealer and OnStar to fix it. Lame tests over and over. Roll up the windows when you talk? Duh. I was told 17 times they were going to replace what is a very cheap set of circuit boards in a box. No replacement unit ever showed up. I have nothing to hide but, I do not need some unknown government or private business having the ability to track me without my permission. So I was motivated to de-active the unit. Of all the information I found the details you posted were not correct. I refer to the diag. the simple way to do this and and and. LAN connection? A monkey could change out the unit and resolve the issue but, we are talking about GM who went under on how many billions?

So folks get in your HHR or any thing with OnStar installed and I promise you there is the chance of fixing your car or truck so it will not start. At the very least you need to get to the unit and that required tools. Not just a screwdriver. Backup power? False.

Final: I removed the RF model so that there is no way the 3 watt FCC approved Cell transmitter will ever send anything to OnStar again. If I sell the car I will just pop the board back in but, it was far from a simple Ave. Joe-Job.
Old September 9th, 2009, 4:10 PM
Banned

wow...you are blowing up over some very minute information. 2 or 3 connectors? who cares how many there are, some vehicle have 2 some have 3, depending on the vehicle build. My diagram shows an xm module but you don't have one? boo hoo...again, vehicle build. Most vehicle now have back-up batteries, unless you work on them every day, you wouldn't know which unless you looked it up, whats the big deal?
And the pic didn't look like the module you pulled from your hhr?...the pics are meant for reference purposes only....not to be an exact replica...they are made for trained technicians. You CAN disable the Onstar system if you want, the Dealer CANNOT without having the customer sign a release form to relieve GM\Onstar of any legal issues, should you end up in a ditch, unconscious, and cannot reach your cell phone.

And I will say that I was mistaken in my statement that pulling the connectors will not cause adverse affects.....there are data lines that come in and go out of the VCIM that simply need to be jumpered once the conectors are off.

The best way to disable the system is to pull the fuse. Nothing more, nothing less....no need to buy whatever "kit" your selling. If the vehicle does indeed have a back-up power source, it will be depleted within the first day and the unit will be totally dead
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

So will this take care of my "service onstar" readout I keep getting, since they stopped servicing any vehicle that is older then an 05? Cause its always in my drivers message center. Also is the box in the same place there as well? Thanks.

Btw I have a 2002 Trailblazer LTZ 4wd. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: OnStar Disabling