HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

power steering cuts out

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ElGugo12,

I can certainly research your VIN to see if you have any recalls associated. Please keep us updated once you return from the dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 20th, 2013, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 hhr power steering cutting out

Based on the previous posts - should I assume that this isn't covered on warranty and it is an electric motor issue?
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Official GM Rep

Don Homer,

Please private message me your VIN so I can verify your warranty status.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 20th, 2013, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Sure Erica - but I don't know how private message you

don
Old November 20th, 2013, 3:12 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Don Homer
Sure Erica - but I don't know how private message you

don
Hi Don,

I'm working with Erica here on the forum. In order to private message us, simply click on our screen name, and you should see the option to send us a private message. I hope this helps. We look forward to receiving your message.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 28th, 2013, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Question Steering Stiffness

I just picked up a 2007 HHR, and the steering seems to be stiff and fail to return coming out of curves, I don't get any message saying the power steering is disabled, (not sure where the DIC is located ) the power steering appears to be somewhat working, when I turn the wheels it feels somewhat easy and the headlight seem to dim when turning the wheel and sitting still.

Does this sound like a Steering motor issue ?
Old December 11th, 2013, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default Electric Motor Vs. Control Module

dodger1948 from your post the intermittent power steering going out is the Electric Motor and not the Control Module, correct?
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 hhr

Hi all, my 007 HHR LS, experiencing same problems with power steering, seems to be good one day and not the next. No error ever shows up on the dash\readout.

I used the GM Canada online chat and provided my VIN, I was told no recall on the 07 as of yet. Any tips to solve this? The PS motor seems to be fine when its working, so it makes me suspect the motor is good. maybe something else is the cause?
Old June 21st, 2014, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Beginning at around 85,000 miles my power steering began going out. I took it to the Chevy Service Center and had them look at it. They told me it was the power steering motor. Unfortunately, there is no recall on the 2007 Chevy HHR power steering. It is strange that so many people are having this same problem! Mine almost got me killed. I have to drive on a very busy highway to get to work and mine would go out at the most inconvenient times. I am a teacher and cannot afford to be getting a new repair on this horrible HHR every month. I decided to put the new motor in myself. I bought a new motor from them. They told me Chevy no longer makes brand new ones and I would have to get a refurbished one. This is weird considering the recall of the other cars. I guess they are putting refurbished parts on those too. It was simple to put on and the power steering seems to be working. The problem I am having now is a whining, or squeaking noise that the car makes every time I turn the wheel. This can be both while driving and sitting in park turning the wheel. Do you think they gave me a bad Power Steering Motor? It hasn't kicked off yet and seems to be working. I need help. I cannot stand the noise. Thanks.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default power steering

Hi I am the very frustrated owner of a 2008 hhr. I would like to know if anyone is getting any type of help with this power steering problem that is plaguing us??? I have contacted Cheverolt who informed me that I would receive no help with my problem (even though 2009-2010) HHRs have been recalled with the SAME EXACT ISSUES) because my car was made in a different plant.. Really it's the same problem, so my or my loved ones lives don't matter because of where the freaking car was made???!!! Someone please help!!!

Quick Reply: power steering cuts out