HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Sunroof exploded

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2011, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof exploded

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this happening. I was driving my 2006 HHR down a secondary highway on Thursday afternoon and out of nowhere there was a big bang and sucking wind sounds. Thankfully, my sunshade had been pulled across the sunroof, or myself, my Mom and my baby would have been showered with broken glass.

When we stopped to investigate, there was a huge hole in the glass and the remaining glass was shattered right to the edges.

There were no cars directly in front of us and I can't be sure, but I don't think that a vehicle passed us going the other direction.

Freaky. Of course, I don't have glass insurance so I'm not covered that way. Will call the dealership on Monday to see what they say but I think I'm stuck. It was so random. I'm just glad that I had the sunshade pulled and no one was hurt.

Last edited by cselebay; May 1st, 2011 at 5:24 PM.
Old May 1st, 2011, 5:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Had you gone under a bridge? Maybe something fell or was thrown from one.
Old May 1st, 2011, 6:45 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would suspect also that something must have hit the glass, a rock, a stray bullet, meteorite.....how was the temperature out hot cold? any previous cracks or scratches on the glass?
check the debris for any foreign objects....
Old May 1st, 2011, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

No bridges for miles and miles. We thought maybe it was a rock if someone had passed us going the other direction (undivided highway) - it was so shocking that I honestly don't know if we had just been passed or not. No previous damage to the glass that I know of - vehicle is always parked inside and hasn't even been in a hail storm. It was about 11C outside. Aliens!! When we checked out the damage, there were no foreign objects in the hole, so if it was hit, whatever hit it was left along the highway. Just so glad that we all didn't end up covered in glass - especially my 10 month old. Yikes!
Old May 1st, 2011, 9:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Well I am glad no one was hurt also.

I am really leaning towards the foreign object hitting the glass causing it to break theory. Every piece of glass in a modern vehicle is made of tempered glass. This glass is designed to shatter, not shard like laminate glass (house window). However, this glass is EXTREMELY hard to break under most circumstances (like a rock traveling at a high velocity). I have had to repeatedly hit a side window with a hammer before it would break. So it would have had to be something hard and or fast to break this glass.

Temperature could cause this but it would have to be an extreme condition (hot or cold) and a sudden jolt (like a hard pot hole impact) to cause this to break. Although I doubt this is the case here.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 3:12 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

cselebay, have you spoken with GM of Canada or a dealership on getting the problem diagnosed/resolved? I'm sorry to hear about this incedent and am relieved to hear no one was hurt. I hope you are able to get his resolved. If you have any questions for me please feel free to contact me.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 5th, 2014, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 tahoe sunroof breaking

I entered my tahoe today around 2pm w the temperature around 70 degrees outside. The interior was hot so I opened the two rear windows while accelerating to about 30 mph when I heard a loud "pop" above my head. I slowly opened the sunshade and saw the glass was shattered with a hole in the middle about the size of a 6" oval. The glass was shattered outward. There was no traffic in either direction and nothing hit the glass. It seemed to be the wind pressure went to the back of the truck and then popped out the sunroof. Any ideas?
Old May 6th, 2014, 5:34 PM
Official GM Rep

Hey Poollawyer,

I am truly sorry to hear you had this concern with your sunroof today. I would like to look into this further for you with your Chevrolet dealership. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name. Hope to hear from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Last edited by Chevrolet Customer Service; May 6th, 2014 at 5:36 PM.
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you Ms. Tiffany but I am dealing with a Patsy G from Chevy Customer service and hopefully we can figure this out. I will advise if I need more help.
Steve
Old May 7th, 2014, 1:27 PM
Official GM Rep

Hey Poollawyer,

Great! I am glad Patsy is on the job. I will check with her on your status.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: Sunroof exploded