Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

04 Base 3.4 100K miles: Front end noise & vibration like driving over rumble strips

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2016, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Base 3.4 100K miles: Front end noise & vibration like driving over rumble strips

Figured I would try this again as my first attempt resulted in a huge post that I'm sure nobody wants to read. I am experiencing a noise and vibration while driving on the highway at speeds around 110 km/h and above. The noise can only be describes as similar to riding the shoulder rumble strips on and off, and is accompanied by a similar vibration, although they are far less violent than actually riding the strips at those speeds. The problem arises EVERY time I reach 110 km/h, and is worse when actually accelerating at or beyond that speed. The noise is intermittent, occurring about once every second, lasting around 1/2 or less of a second at a time, when traveling at 110 km/h. The noise increases in intensity, and occurrence when accelerating beyond 110 km/h, though the duration seems shorter. I have replaced both front hub assemblies, all 4 rotors with new sets of pads, two new steel wheels and new rubber all around (so they're balanced), as well as both outer tie rod ends. None of this has solved the issue. I have also inspected the propeller shafts and CV joints, no signs of wear, play or expulsion of grease from the boots. For those with time to read up on further information regarding the condition of the vehicle when purchased, continue on below. Anybody else who can provide me with any insight from the information I have offered to this point, I would love to hear your suggestions and opinions, and you do not need to read any further!

The car was purchased about a month and a bit ago, with just under 154K km on the Odometer. When my wife brought this thing home I nearly lost it (she didn't consult me or think to let me look it over first). The car had two curb smashed wheels, and on the passenger side was mounted a tire that was noticeably smaller than the other 3 (though it was not one of those Emergency spare donuts), and had NO spare tire. Upon test driving this POS I immediately noticed that the wheel bearings were toasted and it was in dire need of brake pads and rotors. I do not know how long the vehicle had been driven in this state, but it was clear that it had been long enough to become a danger on the road. I then went about the usual maintenance checks, air filters and engine oil, etc, and it was a certainty that whoever this punk was who owned the car previously, didn't know a damn thing or just didn't care. The engine oil was the nastiest that I have ever seen (and I've worked in 2 lube shops), and was down nearly 2 quarts before reading on the dipstick. This prompted me to immediately change the oil and filter, not once, but also a second time about a week later (with an engine flush additive prior to second change over). After this, and more test driving to ensure the engine was healthy enough, I went ahead and replaced the two curb smashed wheels, and all 4 tires. About 8 days or so later, I finally received the rotors, pads, and front hub assemblies via UPS, and went ahead with the installation of those parts. It was not until after doing this (and about an hour of breaking-in the rotors and pads), that I took it out to the highway, which is when I first noticed this weird "rumble strip" noise in the front end (previously indiscernible over the squealing bearings and brake components). I then ordered two outer tie rod ends, as I did notice a very tiny amount of 9-3 play, and recently put those in, though the problem still persists. The car is booked for a wheel alignment for next Wednesday, so perhaps this could be a symptom of some misaligned component, I really don't know, but I will not be holding my breath.

Last edited by Juicyblunts; August 25th, 2016 at 9:27 PM.
Old August 25th, 2016, 8:04 PM
CF Active Member

"Figured I would try this again as my first attempt resulted in a huge post that I'm sure nobody wants to read." And this one is still a huge post. You have to get half way through it before it says you don't have to read the whole thing.
I just posted in the other thread but after reading this I do have something else to say...women!
Old August 25th, 2016, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

It really is not very long for anybody who does not suffer from literacy problems or time constraints (neither of which were included in the target audience). The first half is relevant to the problem itself and the recent maintenance, whereas the second half is related more to the state that the car was in when it was purchased (the complete opposite order of the previous post), and the reasons behind the recent maintenance. I mention at the end of the first half that continuing is not necessary, as the second half serves only to explain the condition the car was in when purchased. The intent there was to offer an extra bit of info for those who could glean a little insight into the cause of the problem based on recent problems, not to attract irrelevant replies about how convenient the length or structure of the post may or may not be. Thanks for your insight nonetheless.