Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

06 Impala Lt AC blowing fuse !!! Help Please !

Old May 30th, 2012, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Impala Lt AC blowing fuse !!! Help Please !

I have a 2006 Chevy Impala LT 3.9 engine. My a/c keeps blowing the 10 amp fuse.The system is charged with freon a few weeks back by a local shop (not a chevy dealer they are always nailing me on repairs) who immediately wanted to replace the compressor 600.00 + dollars. I replaced the ac relay switch which didn't do anything. My question is when I replace the 10 amp fuse the ac will run for a few mins cold but then the fuse blows again . What could be causing this ?

Also a about 8 months back I had the " engine hot A/C Shut off Message on the dash. I was running low on coolant so I just added some and the message went away . Then in Feb I had the service traction control light coming on which it then would reduce engine power this time I stalled about a mile from chevy so I took it there $ 570.00 later , the Throttle body had to be replaced , and fuel injectors cleaned and diagnostic then no codes other then throttle body codes. So now I'm stumped. I guess I'm just praying it's not the compressor Chevy want almost $ 900.00 for this repair.

Any troubleshooting tips anyone can give me would be great !
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:24 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> toast314,

So the 10 amp fuse blowing is a new issue. This issue was not occurring during your last repair visit at the dealer?

This issue may be caused by a wiring issue. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for further assistance. They will be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis after physically inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

It could be the clutch is bad or a short in the wiring to the clutch.
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

I know I should take it to Chevy but it's $ 85.00 just to put it on the computer, not including any repairs. I just wanted to see if anyone else has ran into this problem this sucks..............
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem but my car has a 3500 in in it and i put a new compressor in with no changes.
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Official GM Rep

kevinaholt,

I see you are pretty mechanic savvy with installing a new compressor. If you later choose to have your GM dealership look into this, please remember we can assist. Just send us a private message with your name, VIN, phone number and the name of your GM dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 13th, 2013, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
kevinaholt,

I see you are pretty mechanic savvy with installing a new compressor. If you later choose to have your GM dealership look into this, please remember we can assist. Just send us a private message with your name, VIN, phone number and the name of your GM dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Erica Tiffany Thank you for your reply. I am a GM certified technician.I have over 150 GM certs.However when GM closed down Saturn I lost my JOB. not having the use of dealer world it makes things tough. I was hoping some one had this problem (10 amp a/c fuse blowing) Its most likely a short but where at the ecm bcm power dis. box under the hood.

Last edited by kevinaholt; September 13th, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Official GM Rep

kevinaholt,

I am so sorry. I can only imagine how much harder it is without the dealer world. Please continue to search the threads for more information. Since we are not technicians, I can not assist with trying to diagnose your concern. If I wee anything I will let you know.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 28th, 2015, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Exclamation 10 amp fuse keeps blowing here

I have a 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo 3.9 and I'm facing the same exact issue my 10 amp air conditioner fuse keeps blowing. If i replace it, it will blow cold air for a few minutes, then blow the fuse. I even tried a 15 amp fuse and it blew just as quick. I relieved some pressure from the ac system and that didnt help. please help!
Old August 1st, 2015, 1:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have an ohm meter, you can always measure the resistance across the terminals of the AC compressor clutch and also from the ac clutch terminals to ground to see if the coil is shorted to ground.